Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #11 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
If you are taking good care of your fish, it isn't needed.
Oh okay, thank you :).

Can it be a bad thing though? Or is it fine for already healthy fish....
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:39 PM   #12 
bahamut285

It is fine for a healthy fish as well, it's kind of like putting on sunscreen before going outside.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #13 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
@Finnfinnfriend: Yes, if you get seachem prime you must use it for EVERY water change. It should be fine on its own.
Oh yeah I know tap water conditioner is needed for every water change lol :P But what I meant is if it is safe to use that specific conditioner everytime. Im asking because I heard using stress coat every time could mess with the fish's gills.....
Old 05-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #14 
Luimeril

it doesn't say it right there, but after reading the description on the side, Prime states that "It will also detoxify any heavy metals found in tap water at typical concentration levels". i have both stress coat + and Prime, but only use my Prime. i've had this bottle almost a year, and i'm not even halfway done with it, and i have up to 13 tanks to treat with it, and one of them's a 10 gallon!
(just be warned, it stinks. Dx i regret opening it to check the levels! ew!)
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #15 
Sena Hansler

It's not needed, but it does help new fish, sick fish, and injured fish - and like everyone said healthy fish can have it too :3
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 PM   #16 
bahamut285

Yeah it's safe to use one specific conditioner everytime. I'm not sure where you heard that stresscoat+ messes with their gills but I can assure you, my fish are not affected by intermittent changing of conditioners vs using the same conditioner over and over.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #17 
MrVampire181

I only use Stress Coat in my fish room. Mainly because I cannot find Prime around here and I've never had an issue with it. I love all API products I own.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #18 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
Yeah it's safe to use one specific conditioner everytime. I'm not sure where you heard that stresscoat+ messes with their gills but I can assure you, my fish are not affected by intermittent changing of conditioners vs using the same conditioner over and over.
I meant specifically prime everytime.....and yeah someone on this forum told me that using stress coat every time could mess with the gills, so I thought it was only for sick fish
Old 05-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #19 
thekoimaiden

I have heard that using too much API Stress Coat can cause excess slime to form on the gills, but that is all I have heard. I used API Stress Coat for years before Prime was available in my area and saw no ill effects with it. I don't think the slime coat part of a water conditioner needs to be worried about as much as its ability to detox ammonia, chlorine, and chloritamines.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:13 PM   #20 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I have heard that using too much API Stress Coat can cause excess slime to form on the gills, but that is all I have heard. I used API Stress Coat for years before Prime was available in my area and saw no ill effects with it. I don't think the slime coat part of a water conditioner needs to be worried about as much as its ability to detox ammonia, chlorine, and chloritamines.
Oh okay. Well I still want to switch water conditioners....Is the first link I posted a good water conditioner?

Is this one better? http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752207