Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #21 
ANHEL123

I switch to prime recently(5 month ago). I don't know about the one that on your link. But i would not use anything until you will get positive response about it.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #22 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
I switch to prime recently(5 month ago). I don't know about the one that on your link. But i would not use anything until you will get positive response about it.
I would use prime but it isn't available in my area..../:

A positive response is what I'm hoping for lol
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #23 
thekoimaiden

I like to use water conditioner that needs small amounts per gallon as all of my tanks are 10 gal or larger. That stuff has you dosing 1mL per gal which is similar to API Stress Coat. This also means you are going to be buying more of it. The first you posted versus the second, the second is the only one to talk about ammonia. IMO that would be the better one. My Petsmart actually sells prime, so double check that yours doesn't. Amquel is another good brand that you can use. Kordon is another trusted name in fishkeeping.
Kordon AmQuel Plus Ammonia Detoxifier - Fish - Sale - PetSmart
Kordon AmQuel - Water Care - Fish - PetSmart
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #24 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I like to use water conditioner that needs small amounts per gallon as all of my tanks are 10 gal or larger. That stuff has you dosing 1mL per gal which is similar to API Stress Coat. This also means you are going to be buying more of it. The first you posted versus the second, the second is the only one to talk about ammonia. IMO that would be the better one. My Petsmart actually sells prime, so double check that yours doesn't. Amquel is another good brand that you can use. Kordon is another trusted name in fishkeeping.
Kordon AmQuel Plus Ammonia Detoxifier - Fish - Sale - PetSmart
Kordon AmQuel - Water Care - Fish - PetSmart
I have only one 5 gal tank so the amount isn't really a big deal....I called my local petsmart and they don't carry prime /:

What exactly would make prime better than topfin? Is it just the fact that it's more concentrated?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:26 PM   #25 
thekoimaiden

Yes. The higher concentration means you use less and it doesn't contribute as much to the total dissolved solids (but this is mostly for people who keep sensitive soft water species like discus, rams, and cardinal tetra). It will also cost less in the long run. Most conditioners basically do the same thing. I wish I could remember where, but there was a thread around here where Sakura (maybe?) gave a comprehensive review of dechlorinators available. That might give you a little more insight into whether or not Top Fin would be right for you.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #26 
HatsuneMiku

petsmart carries prime http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753920

.. personally i wouldn't use topfin .. i've used it before as it came as a sample when i bought my 29g tank kit .. and it stank up sooo much like rotten eggs (a lot worse then how prime smells) that i was uncomfortable using it as my water conditioner ..

prime is 2 drops per 1 gallon 100mL (3.4oz) bottle cost $5.99 treats 500 gallons
top fin is 1 ml per gallon 4oz. bottle cost $4.29 and only treats 120 gallons

you would be saving yourself a lot more money investing in prime .. even if the 100mL (3.4oz) bottle of prime is more expensive then the 4oz. bottle of top fin

if your looking for a water conditioner that has slime coat enhancers .. API stresscoat is a better investment then topfin

Last edited by HatsuneMiku; 05-08-2012 at 11:31 PM.
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #27 
finnfinnfriend

Okay you know what I'm just going to give myself piece of mind and order prime online. lol.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:19 AM   #28 
ANHEL123

Good idea lol
If you have option, order 50ml bottle. It the smallest buttle but it has dropper lid. And the lid is ‘’universal’’ it fits all other bigger bottles. Bigger bottles without dropper lid.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #29 
Cattitude

I bought top fin when I bought my minibow aquarium and was using it for all water changes until I heard about prime. I already have the API kit and I'm always testing my water because my tanks are all 5 gal or less. So, I have to change the water frequently, but I don't always have time for 100% changes.

I now use the top fin for 100% changes only, because it doesn't appear to remove ammonia (only chloramine) whereas prime removes ammonia. So I use prime to do partial changes, because it removes the ammonia from the old water as I'm adding the new, treated water. I always have to overdose with prime, only because I don't have an eyedropper and it's hard to measure out just a drop using the lid. Once the top fin is finished I plan to strictly use prime.
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:22 AM   #30 
Bombalurina

If you can't get a dropper/whatever, just go to the chemist and get a 1ml syringe. They are cheap and allow for maximum accuracy in dosing. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote