Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #1 
SarahandOscar

Got snails? Cause we do and we don't know where they came from

Ok soooo we got a tropical tank, cycled it with bacteria and 3 plant types..... Waited a week, checked the water specs and were approved for fishes, we bought 5 guppies last sat and a moss ball and everything has been living happily ever after.

Yesterday we noticed a teeny tiny snail then today 3 more but have NO IDEA where they came from... Definitely wasn't the fish. Could it have been the moss ball?? They're prob 3mm long, have a shell and kind of look like they have leopard spots....

Should we remove them when we find them? Here's to hoping they're harmless lol.

We're very confused and would love any suggestions!! Thanks so much
SarahandOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #2 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Unless you are sure, it could have been the fish. I've had fish carry in snails, I guess the eggs attach to them or something. Also very likely that it came from the moss balls.
You can remove them, I wouldn't, they shouldn't do any harm.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:05 AM   #3 
SarahandOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Unless you are sure, it could have been the fish. I've had fish carry in snails, I guess the eggs attach to them or something. Also very likely that it came from the moss balls.
You can remove them, I wouldn't, they shouldn't do any harm.
Posted via Mobile Device
Oh I didn't think of snail eggs, would they hatch and grow to 4mm in 4 days???? The fish are too small for the snails to have been anything other than eggs as we spent the first hour or so of the fish being Home staring and studying them and I'm sure we would have noticed anything strange.

As long as they won't harm the fish or water specs were fine to leave them be, just wondered if it was something common or known of. Thanks so much Olympia
Old 05-09-2012, 07:20 AM   #4 
Tamyu

If it is just a few of them, I would be happy to find them in my tank. I love my snails - they do a great job of cleaning algae and any missed food. Sadly, mine are nerites so can`t reproduce in the fresh water...

Snails can be really helpful in a tank. They only really reproduce to fit the food supply so unless you are over feeding or have serious algae issues, they shouldn`t get out of control.
Tamyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:25 AM   #5 
SarahandOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyu View Post
If it is just a few of them, I would be happy to find them in my tank. I love my snails - they do a great job of cleaning algae and any missed food. Sadly, mine are nerites so can`t reproduce in the fresh water...

Snails can be really helpful in a tank. They only really reproduce to fit the food supply so unless you are over feeding or have serious algae issues, they shouldn`t get out of control.
Well thats a relief to read, we were just so confused as to where they came from it had us worried. Haha, ok good we can enjoy playing "wheres the snail" instead of "ahh what's going on in my tank!!"