Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2012, 07:58 PM   #1 
harchambeault

should my new betta look sad?

Our brand new betta ("Cutie") looks sad. We got him yesterday at PetCo..yes, I know perhaps we should have gone elsewhere, however.... So today we followed the directions that came with the tank to introduce him to his new (and much larger than his cup) home. We have a 2 gallon tank, I conditioned the water, I turned the filter off because it seemed like much too much flow for him, we bought a heater today and his water temp is around 76 right now. We fed him two pellets tonight...he spit them out. He kinda swims around, but mostly just floats near the top in the corners of the tank, or hides behind the heater. Could this be personality? Shock from the "move", or something more? He doesn't appear to have any tears on his fins, or bulging eyes, or white spots or gold flecks (yes, I've been reading this forum all day). He just seems sad...am I crazy?
harchambeault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #2 
Laki

WELCOME!!

Hm. It might take some time for him to adjust. The floating near the top, are his fins clamped too?? Maybe warm the water a bit more.
He might need more hiding places.. Maybe a terracotta pot or a ceramic mug. Just somewhere where he can go hide. My mom's fish is shy and he's so pretty but I can never get a pic!!
Him spitting food out is fine, just fast him for a day. He'll eat when he's hungry.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #3 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, Betta Fish can act strangely and not eat when they arrive home.
Did you Acclimate him? Is that what you meant by carefully introducing him into the tank? It's like making sure he doesn't go into shock.
Before I joined, I lurked too. I was preparing for my 1st Betta, and I came across this site. It's Great!!! Anyways, Good Luck!!! ;P
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:42 PM   #4 
Enkil

I usually keep my bettas at about 78. They seem pretty happy with that temp and I've had no problems with them being sluggish or clamping.

It may just be stress too. It usually takes a couple days or more for them to get comfortable. So he might not eat well at first. If they are big pellets, you might try a smaller one. That worked for my boy Hannibal. I feed him these teeny tiny New Life Spectrum pellets.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #5 
Tikibirds

He may be unhappy if there isn't alot of decor in his tank. it's not they they don;t like large spaces, it's that some of them do not like large, empty spaces because it makes them feel vunerable and insecure.

spitting out pellets is kinda normal, especially for a new betta. I wouldn't worry about it too much at this point. It's fairly common for them to not eat for a few days at first.

I would say for now, give him a few days to relax and adjust to his new home. His cup may of had a high ammonia level and that will still affect him for awhile. I have gotten ones with levels as high as 8.0 ( I like to test their cup water, it makes me feel all scientist like, plus I am always curious as to how bad it is).

they say the ideal temp is 78-82 but I have had tanks as low as 68 and I have never seen one clamp up or act lethargic. My heated tanks are between 75-82 depending on how good the heater works..
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #6 
nicebear24

Do you have hiding places? ( big rock, cave, plant, ect.. ) If not I sujest
you get one, Bettas tend to be less shy if they feel more secure..

Good Luck!
nicebear24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #7 
harchambeault

Well, its a 2 gallon tank, he has two plants and a pineapple house (like Spongebob). He seems a little more lively today, some bubbles on the top of the water...does that mean he's happy? (Bubble nest?)
Old 05-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #8 
xShainax

Betta's always look sad to me
xShainax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #9 
harchambeault

THis is his house...the note is from my 6 year old...it says "Dear Cutie I love you" :)
Attached Images

Last edited by harchambeault; 05-21-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #10 
ZubinBetta

A bubblenest is a very good sign. Now the object is to change his water without disturbing the nest too much. I would suggest a siphon.
ZubinBetta is offline   Reply With Quote