Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #1 
ravensgate

Recommended book for Betta keeping?

Looking for suggestions on Betta books. Beginner to advanced, I really want to learn more! Thank you in advance!
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:22 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

One of my favorite Betta books is-"Bettas A Complete Introduction" by Walt Maurus a TFH publication....I have two of them and the one I like best is the 2003 copy-not sure the year it was written...It does have some outdated information- but general information is pretty good and I think you can get it for under $5.00 on Amazon-I got the other one at a thrift store last year for 50 cents....my first one was falling apart- but oddly enough some information was different even with the books being the same.....

I also have one by Barron's publication called "Bettas A complete Pet Owner's Manual" written by Robert J. Goldstein Ph.D...not real impressed......but the genetic information is more updated than the one written by Walt Maurus.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:36 PM   #3 
ravensgate

Thank you SO much! Off to go look for one now:)
Old 02-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #4 
SwimmR

If you don't find the book OFL recommends, honestly I think you'd learn at least as much just by reading the stickys in each of the forums here. They're loaded with information, and (the part I like best) sometimes controversy! The nice thing about having so many different opinions from experienced fish owners is that it gives you a lot of options to try depending upon your situation.
SwimmR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #5 
ravensgate

Oh, I have read all of the stickies in the Betta forum! I just want a book so I have all the info in front of me at one glance as opposed to hunting the forum or the internet. :) I managed to snag a copy of the book for a whopping penny through an online used bookstore. WOOHOO! $4 after shipping, not bad!
Old 02-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #6 
LittleBettas

Can you post a link of the used book store... thats a GREAT price!
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #7 
ravensgate

It was this site

http://owlsbooks.com/

But, I did a search for Bettas and only one book came up (for $1.69 I think). I did a search for betta maurus to include the authors last name and got the book I was looking for. So their search is a little whacky but if you know the title or author you might have better luck.

I looked on Amazon and found the book through them, shipped by that Owls Books. And it was $4.99 plus shipping. Having sold books on Amazon myself at one point I knew that Amazon gets a cut so the sellers will have higher prices when selling through Amazon. So I went straight to the source instead. Got lucky:)
Old 02-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #8 
LittleBettas

Yikes... Sold out on Owls Books... and it was 14.95 + shipping on Ebay....
Old 02-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #9 
ravensgate

Yeah, I got the only one they had in stock. But there was another book on there about Bettas for $1.69. Not sure if that one is any good or not. I couldn't even find it on Ebay when I looked.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:31 PM   #10 
LittleBettas

I had to type in "betta maurus"
Ug, lol, hopefully they get some more in stock!