Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #1 
ao
TFK Moderator

Baby betta has a white spot! Female?

Hi!

My baby betta has had a white spot under her belly for a while, she is still tiny, but I'm guessing she is a "She?" She's crttainly gotten aggressive lately and glaring at everything that I almost thought she was a "he". Any ideas?
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

Here is a picture, though I couldn't get the spot, I've heard that having horizontal stripes means that it's most likely female. Anyone?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:25 PM   #3 
MrVampire181

No. All juvenile bettas that are darker colored display those stripes (proof is in my grow out tanks).

A white spot means little to nothing. Wait a few more months.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

Thanks for the reply!

I was just going to be excited about having my first female betta >.> the white spot is like a really white speck sticking out in the middle, at first I thought it was ich, but it was the only spot for a week so I thought it was an egg spot and that the fish is female...

She's all blue emerald and red when the colors came out, =D So fun to watch it grow. I'm hoping to train it to do certain things as it grows and is looking at different tank options for after graduation when can move out to a roomier place.

I have another question if you don't mind. I tried feeding it live brineshrimp and frozen blood worms (whole and chopped in smaller bits) it spat both out and wont take anything other than crushed hikari pellets. Now it doesn't even attempt to eat the brine shrimp or the bloodworms. Are these foods necessary for young bettas? Are there anything else I should try before giving up on meaty foods?
Old 05-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

Those foods are needed for fry usually but if he/she is on pellets I'd just keep up with those.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:57 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

Ok! I was worried that it will stunt its growth or something. Thank you so much :)