Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #11 
Animalfreak

My local pet store is over an hour from my house and we rarely go every 3 months. I believe our local walmart has test strips but I don't know about the Api thing. The walmart also has I believe ammonia test stripes but I would have to check again. I was hoping to have the tank cycled. I still need to clean it but I have no clue how yet.
Animalfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #12 
Termato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animalfreak View Post
My local pet store is over an hour from my house and we rarely go every 3 months. I believe our local walmart has test strips but I don't know about the Api thing. The walmart also has I believe ammonia test stripes but I would have to check again. I was hoping to have the tank cycled. I still need to clean it but I have no clue how yet.
To clean the tank use Vinegar and water. Just let it soak and then scrub away.

Just rinse like crazy afterwards and you will be fine.

Does this walmart have a fish section where they sell fish? If so see if they can test your water.

Due to your distance and the LFS being so far away I would recommend you getting live plants so you can afford to put more fish in at once time. Look into Java Fern, Hornwort and Java Moss. They are great low light plants that will help the tank.

If you have real plants I would say you could add 6-8 MAX fish per week without disturbing the tank.

When is the next time you plan on making it out to this LFS?
The kit is $9 online.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/API-GH-KH-TEST-KIT/dp/B003SNCHMA"]http://www.amazon.com/API-GH-KH-TEST-KIT/dp/B003SNCHMA[/ame]

For pH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate You can get strips for now if you don't want to spend that much money but I would really recommend you get this:

PetCo Is having a 20% Online sale. I would get it there as its normally over $30.
API Freshwater Master Test Kit at PETCO

Not necessary but highly recommended (the API Master Test Kit) because it is more accurate than strips.

As for the gH and kH if you can find out that information or get the test kit it would really benefit the fish and your choices.

Because you have well water, I would HIGHLY suggest getting both of these kits because you cannot be sure what you are putting into the tank. This would be a very good long term investment.

Last edited by Termato; 05-10-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Termato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #13 
Animalfreak

My grandma has tried to grow plants in the tank and they always die in a couple days. I have no clue when we will to to the pet store. Sadly my walmart does sell fish. I have some floating live plants and an other type I don't remember. I think it was hornwort but not sure. I will clean the tank that way. Thank you soooooooo much for helping me!!!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #14 
Termato

Quote:
My grandma has tried to grow plants in the tank and they always die in a couple days. I have no clue when we will to to the pet store. Sadly my walmart does sell fish. I have some floating live plants and an other type I don't remember. I think it was hornwort but not sure. I will clean the tank that way. Thank you soooooooo much for helping me!!!!!
Yeah my walmart sells fish too...pisses me off. Lights are on 24/7, water is dirty. tanks is dirty *gross*.

See if they can test the water for you. Although its walmart....that's all I have to say.

You might be better off getting the test kit. It is very beneficial.

For live plants, did you have good lighting? what plants did you get and did you bury them? Some plants can't be buried.

Also, on plants you have to get plants that go right with your water. This is another reason why it is important to know your gH and kH.

Try and get these numbers for me and we can help you much more :)

No problem btw :)
Old 05-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #15 
Animalfreak

My walmart ALWAYS has dead fish stuck on the filter and it makes me sad!. They even sell bettas, they always seem to have something wrong the poor things. I have started trying to clean the tank last night. My grandpa might know the gh and kh but he is not home at the moment. Now I think I just want to put a whole bunch of live bearers in the tank. I really have no clue now of what I want in the tank. *sigh* I think I'm streesing myself out over this delema. We will see if I get fish or do nothing.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:01 PM   #16 
djembekah

honestly, it took me up to like, the night before i went to get the fish i was adding to my tank to decide on what i wanted the final stocking in my community tank to be. its not done yet, and i might change my mind again. but don't worry about it! whatever you choose, as long as its okay for your tank, it'll be a gorgeous tank :3

i really encourage you to do this! its stressful, but its so very rewarding, as you can tell- you have your five bettas after all! the cycle might seem to take forever but its one of the BEST things you can do for your fish. it'll all be worth it when your little guys are happy and all over the new home you made for them ^-^
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #17 
Termato

Quote:
My walmart ALWAYS has dead fish stuck on the filter and it makes me sad!. They even sell bettas, they always seem to have something wrong the poor things. I have started trying to clean the tank last night. My grandpa might know the gh and kh but he is not home at the moment. Now I think I just want to put a whole bunch of live bearers in the tank. I really have no clue now of what I want in the tank. *sigh* I think I'm streesing myself out over this delema. We will see if I get fish or do nothing.
If your grandfather does not know the parameters, you can always take a sample to the LFS an hour away to get it tested. It would help you decide what fish to keep and bring your stress level down.

One of the most important thing is to take it slow. Im glad you are. It becomes stressful when you go faster. It is good you are stopping to think about all of this.

You keep bettas, so cycling shouldnt take too long because you can seed the new tank.

I would suggesg, before giving up, to go to your LFS and get that water tested. If the water is realy hard then get the livebearers. If you have medium hard under 13dGH (There is a thread on this i will post for you later) then you can get the corys and the ram. If you have really hard local water and well water....and you LFS keeps the rams and corys in that hard water...then you will not have a problem.

Just take it slow. Dont worry about it so much as you are doing it very well and being very considerate.
;)