Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2012, 12:04 PM   #1 
Coppermoon

Introducing Coppermoon

Hi, my name is actually Lori (wanted to use that asmy user name but it wouldn't let me). I live in Midlothian, Texas. I have owned Betta for over 30 years. I have been breeding them since 2006 (started with a red BF VT named Rover White Fin and a red VT female named Juliet). Rover and Juliet gave me 10 spawns in the first 3 months or so of breeding. I had no idea what I was doing. Fry lived 3 days, 5 days, 1 week, 10 days, 14 days,...so on and so forth. The oldest one lived for about a month. I didn't have any fry food for them at all. I finally found a forum that someone was selling MicroWorms. I bought a starter culture. By this time Rover and Juliet both had died. I now had Venus (VT female) and Milo (Plakat male bought from Walmart...marked as female). Venus and Milo gave me my first successful spawn. I had 3 living fry!!! They were fed exclusively MW (I kept them in a guppy breeder in my 55g tank). I had no issues with missing ventrals from feeding MW.

While visiting a pet store, my husband found my Sir William! A beautiful Black Copper Over Half Moon (this is where my website, and then my user name came from) OveraCopperMoon.com and I got my user name while trying to come up with a unique name for my World of Warcraft character. I found a delta tail female at Pet Smart and bread my very first totally successful spawn. I had about 15 fry survive!!! Mr. Attitude was my very fish show fish. I sent him to Houston, Texas in New Breeder and he placed 3rd!!! He got his name because even as a small juvie, he would flare and strut for the BIG BOYS!

I found Aquabid shortly after and imported 1 male and 4 females (after death and disease, I had spent over $300 on 5 imported fish and had nothing to show for it). I was able to raise 1 beautiful male out of them, but he had a missing ventral and while we were on vacation, the tank divider failed and his father killed him :(.

Then I found the Texas Betta Society, IBC and US breeders!!! I have been hooked ever since!

I started Lone Star Bettas in August 2011 and as of right now I think we have about 15 members. LSB drove to Oklahoma at the end of April 2012 to help a sister club OKBBA host their show. In September 2012 LSB, TBS and OKBBA are getting together with FOTAS to host a show in Arlington, Texas.

I am very excited about getting shows back to my area. If you have not attended a show, you really should. They are so much fun and you get to see BEAUTIFUL Bettas!!!
Coppermoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #2 
lelei

Hello Lori, and Welcome to the forum, I myself am becoming a Betta addict as well..lol..I only have one, would love several more, but at this time--cannot do that..but I am so intrigued by thier personalities, and colors, and finnage, and through this site, have been learning so much about these amazing and beautiful fishies:) Here is our "Sammy" love him :) my daughter picked him out..seems to be quite unique..we've had him now a lil over a month..active daily, and quite content in his 3 gal Kollercraft 360 home:)
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Hi Lori, welcome to the forum
indjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Look forward to hearing more about your Betta keeping adventures and seeing pics....

Enjoy your stay...

Be sure and post questions in the proper section for best response.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello Lori and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote