Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #1 
KadenJames

The TRUTH about Betta Care- Printable Flyer

Hello everyone,

In light of the upcoming Betta Fish Awareness Day (June 21st, mark your calendars,) I have created a TRUTH About Betta Care flyer. It depicts how bettas are often treated, and highlights the reality of how uninformed betta owners house their fish. And they wonder why they become ill!

Anyways, here is the link to the flyer, as well as a preview of it.

Black and white version for easy printing-
http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/...TheTruthbw.jpg

Full color version-
http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/...TheTruth-1.jpg

Preview of the flyer-

I hope everyone assists us in getting the word out to as many people as possible. Post them in your local pet store, hand them out around town, stick them in doors, mailboxes, car windsheilds. Hopefully this event will get the ball rolling towards a day when betta "bowls" are outlawed and the overall quality of life for our dear fish is improved.

-KJ
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #2 
bahamut285

I would change "do not know [how to properly care]" to "Majority of betta owners are misinformed on proper betta care". People don't like being told they're wrong.

Other than that, looks good to me!
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #3 
Kim

Looks great! I'll certainly mark my calendar!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #4 
Tikibirds

Looks good, I'm gonna stick it on facebook
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #5 
Cattitude

Posted on my Facebook with the following caption:

"The truth about humane betta keeping. Millions of these beautiful fish die slow deaths each year due to misinformed owners and an unscrupulous pet industry that fosters misinformation."
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #6 
Tamyu

I think it looks nice, but there are a couple places it could probably be better.
There is a typo in the heating section (keeps should be keep). I would also modify the filter section as a filter is NOT necessary - just a very good thing to have. The way it is written implies, to me, that a filter would keep the water clean and get rid of the need for water changes. If a person needs to be read something like this to figure out how to properly care for a betta, they likely know nothing about (and are unlikely to research) cycling.

I would change that section to something like "clean, healthy water" and emphasize frequent water changes and properly conditioned water.

A betta in a big tank, with a proper heater and a nice filter... But water straight from the tap that hasn't been changed for a month because "the filter keeps it clean" is going to do a lot worse than a betta in a heated one gallon with a regular schedule of water changes with properly treated water.
Tamyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #7 
Wolfie305

If you ever want help designing flyers or brochures or anything, let me know! I'm a graphic designer :3

I'll spread the word!
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #8 
Shiverdam

A smaller tank really doesn't need a filter. It'll need unnecessary cycling. Bettas get their air from the surface, they don't actively intake oxygen from the water.
Also, saying betta pet owners "don't keep their water clean" and that "breeders keep their water pristine" is far from the truth. I'm certain there are many breeders that don't know half of what their doing, as well as many pet owners (like myself) that make sure their betta's environment is perfectly pristine.
Shiverdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #9 
MollyJean

Well they do intake oxygen from the water, but not as much as is breathed from the surface. Either way, clean water is a must. Maybe it should say clean water through a filter OR water changes.

I love most of it, except for the color. a green background means a grey background, and for most people, like me, all they grey prints out and takes up ink. Maybe a 3rd version that is ink friendly?
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #10 
Sivan

Hey KJ, thanks for spreading the word! As I said when you realised the poster on Facebook, I really do love it. Don't worry about the nitpicky things, though. I know the poster speaks in generalities and with small, limited, space you cannot afford to thoroughly explain those generalities in detail (its not a book, after all). I'd love to see more of these in the future.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote