Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #1 
danifacetastic

Severely Bloated Betta - Looks Like Blister

So my betta has been bloated for a month now and a few weeks ago I QT'd him. He was on Maracyn Plus/Epsom salt for 5 doses and I changed the water every other day. As of 2 days ago I stopped treatment and I upped his QT tank from a 1 gallon to a 1.5 gallon. Now that he's in a tank with a light his severely swollen section looks translucent - like a huge blister. He's eating, pooping, and swimming like normal.

danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #2 
xjenuhfur

Jesus he's monstrous! Maybe it's a tumor? O.o
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:51 PM   #3 
MyRainbowBettaFish

You could try feeding him a single, cooked, de-shelled pea to reduce constipation.

I hope he feels better!

Good Luck
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Oh God. Fast him for a few days. I have heard that the pea won't help. But, it
doesn't hurt to try, I guess. Good Luck on his diet!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:05 PM   #5 
MyRainbowBettaFish

I don't know to be honest if the pea method works or not, but those who have claimed they tried have had success. Just a suggestion.....
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #6 
Luimeril

if it hasn't gone down at all, it might be internal parasites. x: try fasting him for a few days. if that doesn't help, try soaking a pellet in fresh crushed garlic juice. heard that helps with internal parasites.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #7 
MollyJean

Don't feed him a pea, it'll just give him gas, the last thing he needs. Fast him, a betta can go weeks without food, but you shouldn't need to that long, and look for other symptoms that might indicate a tumor or parasite. From the picture, it looks like the worst bloat I've ever seen, but it could be something else.

(EDIT)

After looking around some, it might be an early symptom of Dropsy. The BFF entry for Dropsy says this:

Quote:
Dropsy
•Symptoms: Your betta will have a bloated belly and raised scales. They will look like a pine cone. This is usually a fatal disease caused by an internal bacterial infection resulting in internal organ failure but many have had success bringing fish back when treated quickly.
Early Symptoms: Swollen eyes (important), Gray belly (important), Clamped fins, Lethargy. If your fish has swollen eyes and a gray belly, I suggest that you treat it for Dropsy.
•Treatment: If you spot the early signs of Dropsy then treat him/her with ES at 1-2tsp/gal and Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets while performing 100% daily water changes. It helps to increase the temperature to 84*F. If he/she has begun Pineconning then do the full course as described below:
Performing daily 100% water changes. Increase the temperature to 84*F. Add 1-2 tsp/gal Epsom Salt. Use API General Cure OR API Erythromycin OR Maracyn II and/or Maracyn for best results. Feed something containing Metronidazole, for example, Jungle’s Anti-Parasite pellets. If caught early, Dropsy is curable.
There are other sites that have more information, and I found this one the most informative.

http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/dropsy/

This was helpful, as well

http://nippyfish.net/2007/02/23/bett...ollen-abdomen/

You should do some searching on your own though, and look into finding some antibiotics.

Last edited by MollyJean; 05-09-2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: added text
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #8 
xjenuhfur

The only reason I didn't say internal parasites is because you've already done the Epsom salt treatment with Meds. He doesn't seem to have any of the other symptoms of dropsy.
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #9 
Shiverdam

It really looks like Dropsy...
Shiverdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #10 
danifacetastic

I does look like dropsy but I've tried fasting, epsom salt, and Maracyn Plus. Should I try Maracyn I or II?
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote