Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #11 
ootfifawithbubba

his fins look shredy and weird , outher than the bloat , any outher medical problems
ootfifawithbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #12 
Kim

I'm thinking internal parasites. I once rescued an entire tank full of guppies that had been in deplorable conditions. After slowly getting everything cleaned up, I kept loosing fish. They would suddenly get extremely bloated- looked exactly like your guy- and die within a few days. After doing a lot of research I realized they had the white, stringy poops that are a hallmark of internal parasites. You say he is pooping... what do they look like? Like I said, white and stringy is a very strong indication of parasites.

That being said, I wouldn't bother with any external treatments. They really don't seem to be effective at all from my experience. The only thing that worked for me was medicated food (I believe mine was from Jungle Labs). The only problem is that it can be hard to get them to eat it, although soaking in garlic can help as it is an appetite stimulant. If it is parasites, that would also explain why the antibiotic treatment hasn't helped.
Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #13 
Shiverdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ootfifawithbubba View Post
his fins look shredy and weird , outher than the bloat , any outher medical problems

I believe that's just because he's a crowntail.
Shiverdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #14 
danifacetastic

There's no other medical problems, and his poop looks normal. I've never been able to find the medicated food before, I looked when my last fish came down with dropsy. Where can I find them?
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #15 
Luimeril

dropsy would affect the whole body, if i'm not mistaking, not just the tummy area. it could be an internal tumor. facebook is acting up badly for me, otherwise i'd be able to tell you exactly what people said about it. :I
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #16 
danifacetastic

Thats why I'm wondering. Idk if anyone remembers me posting in the past few months about my fish Kwimby who we came to the conclusion that had dropsy. He was bloated for months and it was an all over thing. He also became lethargic and short of breath. This fish isn't doing that. And he was a little bloated and it's gotten much bigger, just in the past month. I'm afraid of coming home and having him busted open dead on the gravel.

Is there anything I could do if it was a tumor?
Old 05-11-2012, 07:16 AM   #17 
Kim

Unfortunately there's nothing you can do if it's a tumor.

I believe I got my medicated food for internal parasites at either PetSmart or Pet Quarters. Also, just wanted to add that my comment about medicated food being the only thing that worked was directed at only treatment for internal parasites. I realized reading it today that it was a bit unclear.
Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:07 PM   #18 
Tikibirds

I am going to go with the tumor theory. If he had parasites, he poop most likely would of been stringy and white. How long have you fasted him for?
If epsom and salt did not work it is possible he has a tumor.

Have you tried any meds for bacterial infections. I suppose its possible he has an internal bacterial infection of some sort. If you have maracyn and maracyn 2 you can combine them - that way it will take care of any gram negative and gram positive bacterial infections. However if he was THAT sick, there would most likely be other symptoms like lethargy and clamped fins. If he is that bog and still acting OK, I am inclined to think its a tumor

Last edited by Tikibirds; 05-11-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #19 
xjenuhfur

I've been keeping up with this thread since my last post, how is he doing now? Still acting normal just really big?
xjenuhfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #20 
danifacetastic

I already treated with Maracyn Plus and epsom and there's no change. I fasted for a week before treating with medicine. He's acting normal. I don't have Maracyn but I have Maracyn II and no access to meds...they're 1.5 hours away.