Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2012, 08:29 PM   #1 
WildFlower

Hello! ~Newbie who LOVES Bettas!

Hi everyone! My name is Kazumi and I'm from Osaka Japan. I curently live in the US and am only in High School. A little background info: I have two kittens, Micah and Milo....and two betta fish! I have one female named Ceasar, and one male named Rikuo. I'm half European and half Japanese so I speak English, Japanese, and in the process of learning Spanish.
My betta history is not that much, but I know all of the basic information. So the reason I joined this site is to learn how I can help my betta family live in as much happiness as possible! Both my male and female bettas live in 1 gallon tanks that are heated and aerated. I hope to add one more male betta into the family in the summer when I have less school to worry about. I have had a total of seven bettas in the past (six males and one female) not including the ones living right now, and they have all lived at least two to three years.
Other animals I've had are currently two cats, and three have passed away due to old age.(Ages: 15, 17, and 21) Now we have two brothers who are going to be a year old in June. I also had two female fancy mice, Chrysanthemum and Lily who lives to be three and were dearly loved. I once had three frogs and some interesting bug collections. :)
Well that sums up all I can think about at the moment....I hope I will be accepted into this amazing website! Thank you!! =^..^=
~Kazumi T.
WildFlower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Welcome to the Forum!!! By the way, I like your name Kazumi.
For your Betta Fish, a 2.5 and up would make them thrive. I am not saying 1 gallon is a bad choice, but keep up with those water changes! You seem to take really good care of your other animals! If you need ANY help, we would be glad to help you. Good Luck in the Amazing World of Betta Fish!!!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #3 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Like LebronTheBetta said, WELCOME! I am new here too, and let me say congrats on joining! I would suggest bigger tank though for your bettas-possible a five gallon if you can!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #4 
SamJustice

Welcome. I'm new-ish.

I'd say a 2.5 gal should be minimum, but a 1 gal is fine. =3

And everyone here knows so much, it's awesome. =3
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #5 
WildFlower

Thanks so much! I've already learned a lot!!
LebronTheBetta: Thanks, my name actually mean mist or fog. :)
I'm going shopping on Saturday, so I'll try to get a least a bigger tank for my male betta. My female was sold at PetCo when she was a baby with a couple other of her brothers and sisters. So many little kids were crowding around them asking their parents to get them one.....I had to save her. So right now she is only 3-4 months old and is still under an inch. I know she is supposed to be full grown but I think she's just small. Anyway, I think keeping her in a 1 gallon is okay for now becuase she is so small and gets frightned in big spaces.
Again, thank you SO much for the welcomes and for the help in tank sizes!
Old 05-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

You're Welcome!
Oh, and I have heard claims that some don't like big places. Did you try?
If she's stressed, there would be like stripes on her called "Stress Stripes".
What type of Betta is she? If she's like an inch, that would be hard to tell.
There are different types, Crowntail,Veiltail,Halfmoon, Plakats. A WHOLE lot.
Can we see pics? Anyway, wish you luck!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #7 
WildFlower

Ok, so here are a few pictures of Ceaser(female) and Rikuo(male). I believe Ceaser is some sort of Crowntail becuase she has spiky fins.....but you can't really tell in the photo. Rikuo is a Super Delta becuase his tail fin doesn't go completly 180 degrees. Still not completly sure about what they are, but I hope you can clarify!
Ceaser does get scared in big spaces, I had her in a 3 gallon all by herself and stayed in the corner of the tank and changed to a clear pink from her normal mossy green and redish fins. So I figured she was stressed out. But I don't really know what stress stripes look like so I don't know...

She hates the camera, so this was the best one I could get of her. Her color is more vibrant in real life. I know you can see her intestines, but I think it was due to the flash.....but is that considered a stress stripe?

My little Rikuo I couldn't get to flare, so this will have to do for now.
Hope this helps!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:00 PM   #8 
LebronTheBetta

Okay, this is just weird.
It's either that you didn't do the pic thing right, OR, my MacBook Pro can't seem to have the picture. Is it the limit size for the pic? I don't understand this. My laptop lets me see all the other pictures except yours for some reason.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:11 PM   #9 
WildFlower

Hmmmm. They show up on mine, but how do you post your pictures? Just to be sure I'm doing this right. :)
Old 05-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #10 
LebronTheBetta

I only know how to post my Avatar Profile thing. hehehehhe...
I don't know either. I'm not good with downloading pics to a website that I am new to. Oh, well. Me and you will learn how to do this some day.