Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #11 
ootfifawithbubba

should i add some tipe of salt aquarium salt stuff , ? i jave sea salt i use for my hermit crab juji but thats not for bettaf , so any watter aditives would help? besides aquasafe
ootfifawithbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #12 
Kim

No, please do not use sea salt for your betta. What you really need is a heater because 70 F is really far too cold for a tropical fish- 80 degrees is the optimal temperature. Bettas are ectotherms, meaning they cannot produce their own heat as humans can. So basically, their internal temperature will be the same as that of their environment..if too cold they will be very lethargic and have a weakened immune system that is unable to fight off disease. So please, a heater is a must!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #13 
FishyFishy89

yes
70F is far far too cold for bettas
my house is kept a 73F and the water temp drops QUICKLY
I recommend getting a heater. Keeping the water temp at 80F
Get some silk or soft plants and some decor. Provide him with stimuli and proper water temp. And he should improve.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #14 
ootfifawithbubba

the problem is at petco theres only hard and sharp stuff , and i cant afford a heater , il try to get one asap but for know hes gotta stay ok , and i know not to use seasalt past experiance and my silly mom with neons :P but i just put him in the vase to make sure that i know its tail biteing not just sharp decor oh ya that means brooke is in the big tank so he will have pics up soon
Old 05-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #15 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ootfifawithbubba View Post
the problem is at petco theres only hard and sharp stuff , and i cant afford a heater , il try to get one asap but for know hes gotta stay ok , and i know not to use seasalt past experiance and my silly mom with neons :P but i just put him in the vase to make sure that i know its tail biteing not just sharp decor oh ya that means brooke is in the big tank so he will have pics up soon
I have a petco near me. And I have visited several other petcos in different states and cities. All carry decor soft enough for betta fins.
Hard decor is fine. Look for the plants specifically marked as silk plants. Or grab ones that feel like cloth or fabric.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #16 
ootfifawithbubba

what im sayingis they are all sharp cant find a one thats good , but ill look next time i go
Old 05-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #17 
Bombalurina

For now, to keep the temperature as high (and constant) as possible, put the tank in a warm space, like high up in a cupboard. I would keep him in the tank, not the vase, as a the larger amount of water will keep a more stable temperature. Wrap the tank in towels and blankets to keep the warmth in.

Keep the sharp decor out of the tank and put in soft or smooth things - coffee mugs, PVC pipes, hamster tubes. It doesn't have to be plants for now, just things that he can hide in. Just make sure it's clean.

If you want to add salt to the water, use AQ salt. You don't need to, though. Heat will do far more than salt. Keep the water super clean. I'd suggest a 50% change every second day.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #18 
ootfifawithbubba

ok