Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

Here's my rainbowfish tank. There's actually one pygmy perch (accidentally got netted with some other fish I bought), ten or so Skull Ck rainbows and nine or so Delicate blue-eyes. It's overstocked as the guy I bought the fish off chucked in some extras. Hopefully moving the blue-eyes out into their own tank.

Ignore the blyxa I removed it from another tank and it is not staying

Then this is my Pseudomugil mellis/Honey blue-eye tank

Honey blue-eyes (Pseudomugil mellis) on a mission through the blyxa

Freaking out because I turned on the light

FTS. Tea-tree was just chucked in there so ignore the lack of 'scaping'.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #12 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
The smartest fish? o-O
Ya. The mormyrids (elephant nose fishes) produce a weak electrical current that they use for everything from finding food to communicating with each other. The ratio of brain to body weight is comparable to humans. It's theorized that thier brains are so large because they have to process so many electrical signals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamyu View Post
I am in the slow process of putting together a Japanese agricultural stream biotope - AKA "Fish and plants I can find near my house"
It is apparently far more impressive to people who don't live in Japan.
Native tanks always seem to be more impressive to those who don't have the same fish around them. When I show people pictures of darters and dace they always oohh and ahhh, but to me they are just backyard fish. I would love to see some pictures of what you have already done with it.

A native biotope is another that I would love to do. The major problem is that I would need a large tank as I'm assuming most of the fish I want are schooling. There really isn't much known about their behavior in the aquarium. The second major problem is that they are true coldwater fish and will die at temps around 75F. I'm looking at middle Appalachian mountain streams, ie trout streams. So I will need a chiller (which is a little out of my price range at the moment).

Interestingly enough, Nathan Hill talks about how native biotopes aren't being done enough in this PFK article: 8 biotopes that aren't being done enough | Blog | Practical Fishkeeping

Beautiful tanks, LBF. They look like something I would see at a public aquarium. I love the honey blue-eyes playing in the wood.

Last edited by thekoimaiden; 05-10-2012 at 09:49 PM.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #13 
Bombalurina

I want to do a betta imbellis biotope, and a fundulopanchax gardneri gardneri one. I'd also love to do one for my embers.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #14 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Some of those in that article aren't even possible. Lake Baikal? Talking about the deepest freshwater lake, a fish that dissolves when it is removed from this pressure. Of course it's not being done enough! Just now we have one aquarium (in France) with a deep sea tank opening soon. It's on PFK, it's a 3 gallon tank that will contain shrimp and such, but the amount of pressure being put on it takes up so much space. O_O (sorry, that really aggravated me!)
Gourami biotope would be amazing though!

They do seem fascinating. This is from a PFK article of someone who saw them in the wild:
"It was pitch dark and I looked in the water where I was standing and suddenly it started to blink around me. Near my legs was a group of five or six elephantnoses swimming over fallen leaves and tree branches.
Why could I see them? Their eyes were flashing on and off in bright (infra-red?) colours and, while watching this for some 15-20 minutes, I began to realise that they were using some form of communication, like Morse signals."
Like... WHAT O_O
Such a weird fish, experts struggle to keep them alive, since they starve themselves, then there's some inexperienced person with a 30 gallon tank hand feeding his on youtube! :s

A native tank would be cool but I could never reproduce a Canadian winter in my tank!
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:43 PM   #15 
LittleBettaFish

Well my rainbows hated my old tank design as they were always surfing around at the back or hiding. Took all my old wood out and put in a hep of tea-tree branches and now everyone is out and about exploring. Hoping the tannins that wood is going to release will dilute my light as this washes out their colouring a lot.

Sorry it's a bit cloudy but here's an updated shot. Looks better in RL as you can see all the wood clearly.

I thought Elephant Nose fish were in the same category as Ghost Knife fish. My older brother had one for a while in his community tank, but he didn't quarantine and whatever it brought in wiped out his entire community. I find them weird looking. Sounds like a biotope around them would be cool.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:59 PM   #16 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Yea, they are both fish that communicate and navigate using electric pulses (and apparently flashing lights out of their eyes). If you youtube them, their movements are very similar to a BGK's as well. Are they common in shops in Australia? I've only seen them online, there's one on aquabid, but it's in the states.
I've been thinking about this too much now and feel like I'm actually setting up a 70 sometime soon. :(
I thought about a biotope for my rainbows, but then I decided I want some whiptail catfish in there. Yours looks pretty awesome, though. Do you just take the tree branches from outside? We don't have any good trees for that here. $10 for a tiny piece of driftwood. Ugh.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #17 
LittleBettaFish

Tea tree grows feral here and when I went up to my grandparents' farm they had a section they'd clear a couple years back leaving stumps behind. I wanted the root ball so I dug about 30 stumps out and got some wood of varying sizes. This was soaked in a tub of water for a week or so until it sunk and I stripped off most of the bark.

Then I just put it in my tanks, and I have yet to see any adverse effects. They have leeched a lot of tannins though, but I want that look.

The aquarium I saw the elephant nose fish at gets in a lot of oddball fish as they have their own quarantine facility on site. Don't know how common they are outside of that.

And here's an interesting fact I found in regard to ENF and GKF
Quote:
Individuals of a single species produce either wave signals or pulse signals, but not both. The Black Ghost Knife fish (Apteronotus albifrons) is a wave producing fish, while the Elephant Nose fish (Gnathonemus petersii) produces pulses (von der Emde 1999).
Old 05-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #18 
Jayy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Here's my rainbowfish tank. There's actually one pygmy perch (accidentally got netted with some other fish I bought), ten or so Skull Ck rainbows and nine or so Delicate blue-eyes. It's overstocked as the guy I bought the fish off chucked in some extras. Hopefully moving the blue-eyes out into their own tank.

Ignore the blyxa I removed it from another tank and it is not staying

Then this is my Pseudomugil mellis/Honey blue-eye tank

Honey blue-eyes (Pseudomugil mellis) on a mission through the blyxa

Freaking out because I turned on the light

FTS. Tea-tree was just chucked in there so ignore the lack of 'scaping'.
Beautiful tank!
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 02:01 AM   #19 
Tamyu

LittleBettaFish - those tanks are beautiful. The blyxa may not necessarily belong, but it looks wonderful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Native tanks always seem to be more impressive to those who don't have the same fish around them. When I show people pictures of darters and dace they always oohh and ahhh, but to me they are just backyard fish. I would love to see some pictures of what you have already done with it.
I think the impressiveness of the tank goes up based on how rare the fish are in that location. My incredibly cheap little medaka (sadly, my wild caught passed away recently) seem to be hard to find outside Japan, my native little freshwater shrimp almost unheard of, and my local loach something exotic. The type of goby planned is also native to a lot of other places, so isn`t quite as interesting.

For me it is just easy to do a native tank. Everything is easy to obtain and information abounds (even if it is aimed at people raising them for bait - like the loaches).

I would show the tank, but it looks nothing like it should at this point. The fish and shrimp are fine, the wood and rocks are fine, but the gravel at this point is white (easy to see and remove from atop the soil) and there is hornwort standing in for the planned spiralis and palustris.

The tank doesn`t look horrific, but it certainly isn`t a biotope at this point.
Tamyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:46 AM   #20 
kfryman

If I were to setup a biotope it would be South America. No neons or cardinals as they don't school very nice, rummynoses are my #1 Tetra of choice.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote