Betta Fish Forum banner

New Fish!! *pic heavy*

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  FrostSinth 
#1 ·
Soooo, I caved. I've been thinking about getting more for a while. Originally just a female or two, but I ended up with a female and a male. I went to Petsmart for a filter, got 4 ghost shrimp, a snail, a HM male, and a female. :p

I had my puppy there with me, so it was difficult to spend my time looking for one. But I am pretty happy with the two I got. Still trying to think up good names. Maybe you guys can help me narrow down my ideas!

Also curious what the female is, she wasn't labelled as anything except female.

For him, I'm thinking:
Hades
Morpheus
Saber
Thaddeus
Slade or Slate

I think my favorite is Hades and Morpheus . . . :-/

For her, I'm thinking:
Athena
Sweetie Bell
Apple Bloom
Acacia
Aphrodite
Calypso
Galena
Helena
Nerissa

My favorites are Athena, Acacia, Aphrodite, and Helena.

And a couple of pair pics for good form:

Love this one ^

Yes I am aware their current housing is too small, but its just for their quarantine time. Male may end up with a half of Kevin's big tank, or maybe the female will. The other will get their own that I have in my brothers room. Haven't decided who yet.

Eventually the female will be a mate for someone, but I'm in no way set up for breeding, plus they need to be "beefed up" :-D

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice Fishes!!!
Oh, and on your male's fin, did you see the tear?
If you want it to heal, of course you do, you need to keep the water EXTRA clean.
You should probably keep them in their own tank to themselves. The female might get eggbound. And if this happens she might die.
And for your male, you should also treat the tear with AQ and clean water.

#3 ·
Yeah, I did see the tear. I added some of this stuff (forget the name) that cleans the water and promotes healing. With the smaller container, it'll be easier to change the water every day.

& I'll keep the tank thing in mind :)

#6 ·
It's actually pretty rare for a female to get egg bound and die.
If you want to use her for breeding, it would be better to have her in her own tank though. If she gets too used to being around a male it could make things difficult.

They are lovely though. Personally, I like Morpheus and Calypso. The last pic is nice. ^_^
Love how he has the "racing stripe" like two of my dragon boys do.

#8 ·
BL1507:
At the bottom of my post I mentioned its not a permanent housing, its their quarantine area.

#10 ·
The other day I was reading something and read "Mom's eating, babies well." as "Mom's eating babies well". haha

I think I've decided upon Hades for the male and Helena for the female. I think Calypso would be better for a bluer female. And maybe one of his sons is a Morpheus, It was a close second lmao :-D :-D

#11 ·
btw, what color would you call them? I believe Hades is a steel, maybe steel blue?

And Helena I was thinking yellow, or yellow w/red fins... :-/

#12 ·
I would say that your boy is a copper, your girl, I'm not sure, but I think she's a veiltail?Like I say not sure!Two gorgeous fish though!

#14 ·
the bronzing is mostly due to the camera for some reason. He is very silver in reality, I decided on Hades for him (because of the dark spot on his head and on his gills, makes him look very menacing when he flares) and Helena for the female, because she's the most beautiful female around. The boys would fight for her :-D

#16 ·
Thanks :-D I was more asking their colors than names now. I moved them into their own tanks; Hades has black gravel and a dark purple/brown plant and Helena has white/tan rocks and a pink/purple plant. Need to get them more decorations.

Quick question; how fast can fin tears heal? I swore by yesterday his were already gone, and I stared at him for a good 15/20 min trying to see them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.