Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #1 
SamJustice

Prego Platy Questions

Okay. Few questions about our pregnant platy.
How will we know when she about to give birth? Like what behavioral changes do they have, and what do the fry look like?
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #2 
SamJustice

Anyone?
Also.
What would feed the fry?
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #3 
gidgeystartedit

If you feed your platys flakes, you could just crush the flakes up more. They probably sell special food for livebearing fish, but I didn't get it when my mollies and guppies had babies (platys and mollies are pretty similar..). When my fish gave birth, they went down into the rocks and sort of lay there. I tried keeping them in a breeding net thing, but she never had the babies in there so I let the mom out and she had the babies like the day after. The babies are smart and hide from the larger fish. You might already know all this. :) Good luck. Hopefully another person will add to me. I'll try to post a picture of my molly fry, if you'd like. They are similar.
gidgeystartedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #4 
AquaNinJa

Hi there! This is what I posted on another thread about platy fry...

"What I do is I check up on my tank a lot. When I see fry in my large tank I put them in a breeding net. You can get breeding nets at almost any petstore. I highly recommend the one from TOP FIN because it is very cheap, and it works amazingly! I've had it for a year and it's never doubted me! I have that in the corner of my tank and as my fry are swimming around, to prevent them from getting eaten, I use my net and catch them and put them in the nursery. I don't really recommend the plastic breeders with the cracks at the bottom because of the lack of air flow and I think they would most likely get eaten in those by the mom if you don't take them out in time, plus being in the nursery can stress out the mom. Also keep in mind when you catch the fry in the large tank if that is what you decide to do, babies have a natural instinct of hiding, so some of them might be hiding in the gravel. Keep the net in hand just in case you just so happen to see a little fry peering out of the gravel or plants."
What I recommend feeding them is "Hikari first bites" or very finely crushed up flakes, I've used both types and they seemed to work out just fine(: Fry just look like tiny little platys! It's hard to tell when the babies are about to come so just keep your eyes open and watch the tank carefully!
AquaNinJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #5 
gidgeystartedit

The fry are FAST so you have to be quick while catching them..
Here's a pic of my Molly fry. So you can get the idea of what they look like.. They are cute!
Attached Images

gidgeystartedit is offline   Reply With Quote