Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #1 
True Indigo

How Common is Tailbiting with Long Finned Bettas in 5gal+ Tanks?

Ever since my guy, Gyarados, was put in a 5 gal, he had a very bad problem with biting his tail fins to the point that they became heavily damaged. Since then, I've been deterred from the long tailed fins like Halfmoons and Crowntails and have tried to focus on plakats only.

But when I see fish like this!

It's everything I can do but to not bite my knuckles and stray away from the guy.

So I'm wondering, if I were to put a halfmoon or crowntail with long fins in a 5gal or 10gal tank. What's the honest likelyhood he'll bite his tail fins?
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:23 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

I think it really does vary from fish to fish. It's also got a lot to with tank decor, not just tank size.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:44 AM   #3 
nel3

my VT has his episodes. i have Anacharis floating on his side of the tank but he'll gladly tailbite if his 1.5 inch tail when the plants are too densly packed.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:31 AM   #4 
Sheldon31

Kyon has his moments and he's in a 20gal. I try to change his decor around at least once a month so things are still interesting. I believe bettas who live in well planted tanks are less likely to get nippy with their own fins, likewise with tank mates not nipping.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #5 
True Indigo

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll probably still avoid buying the longer finned bettas though since I disliked seeing how much Gyarados stressed himself out with his own tail length and I thought something was seriously wrong. Don't want to go through that stress again.

Good thing there are still some amazing looking plakats!
Old 05-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #6 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Indigo View Post
Thanks for the info, guys. I'll probably still avoid buying the longer finned bettas though since I disliked seeing how much Gyarados stressed himself out with his own tail length and I thought something was seriously wrong. Don't want to go through that stress again.

Good thing there are still some amazing looking plakats!
i dont have a thing against long finned betta but id love to get a PK one of these days. PKs dont show up in LFS locally. though i cant get another betta until i get down to atleast 4 betta in my care. 5 atm is the limit. i might need to go to Plattsburg given the border guards will let the fish get into Canada.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:29 PM   #7 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Indigo View Post
Ever since my guy, Gyarados, was put in a 5 gal, he had a very bad problem with biting his tail fins to the point that they became heavily damaged. Since then, I've been deterred from the long tailed fins like Halfmoons and Crowntails and have tried to focus on plakats only.

But when I see fish like this!

It's everything I can do but to not bite my knuckles and stray away from the guy.

So I'm wondering, if I were to put a halfmoon or crowntail with long fins in a 5gal or 10gal tank. What's the honest likelyhood he'll bite his tail fins?
My betta Spitfire was a tail biter and he was in a decor heavy 29 gallon. I think it depends on the fish
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #8 
Enkil

Our combtail bite/rips off fin when he feels ignored. >>
So I make sure he gets daily attention which he seems to love.

I do have 3 HM boys that are in a divided 10 gal. Two of them bite their tails. The other doesn't. From what I've found, it just depends on the fish really. With my HM boys that bite their tails, I've found that switching up their decorations/plants helps. So long as I don't mess with Odin's turtle. XD
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:42 PM   #9 
True Indigo

I love hearing you guys talk about your bettas. XD I guess it does depend on the fish, though as you guys say.

As much as I love looking at their fins, I don't want them to stress out in my bigger tanks. Though this prompts a question. Since 5 gallons are ideal for a single betta, would it even apply to fish who have a hard time with all that extra weight to be in a tank that big?
Old 05-11-2012, 09:58 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

I have Odysseus in a 5 gallon (he's an HM with heavy finnage) and I've got to say, it's perfect for him. http://www.aa-aquarium.com/catalog/p...products_id=94 This is his, so you can see the dimensions. To be honest, I'd be perfectly happy having him in a ten gallon or more. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote