Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #11 
Micho

I don't think Bettas bite their fins due to tank size, I think it's generally because they find their fins too annoying, since they're carry such heavy finnage it's a drag to swim around with it and they get tired easily. So biting off a few chunks will ease the weight. If you provide surfaces where your Betta can rest on, like those Betta Hammocks, it'll be easier for him since he doesn't need to swim that far to reach the surface to breathe. Also if the current is too strong, they might bite off their tails so they can swim easier.

That's just my take on it. . .
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #12 
Sakura8

I also think they sometimes catch sight of their tails from their corner of their eyes and think it's another male chasing them. My HMs are all in 3 gallons and they do just fine.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #13 
True Indigo

I wish we all knew a conclusive reason(s) for why Bettas bite their tale and how to tell. Hahaha. It took me forever to try to find a solution and the only thing that seems to be working is a consistent light schedule/ritual I do.

And Micho, he has plenty of those and even hangs out in some of the roots of the floating plants (granted, now that I think about that, he bit his fins before I got the taller plants and floating plant so you might have something there).

Either way, I'll just leave it up to my gut, then. I'll buy a fish when my gut says "YOU WON'T CARE IF HE NIPS HIS FINS A LITTLE, GET HIM!" Hahaha.

And thanks, Sakura, I'm glad that not everyone has the same experience.
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:08 AM   #14 
Bombalurina

And my bf couldn't understand why, if I had the superpower of talking to animals, I'd use it to ask my fish questions and tell my rats to use the litter tray instead of their climbing nets. :p
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #15 
lilyth88

Gandalf is a bad fin-nipper too. I think it mostly just depends on the fish.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:52 AM   #16 
Sakura8

You're welcome, True Indigo. In fact, my HMs have never bitten their tails. My veiltails, on the other hand . . .

In my own personal experience, I've had the most trouble with my bettas tailbiting when they are in divided tanks.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #17 
True Indigo

I wonder why that is. Or could it be because they smell the other pheramones in the water of the other fish?
Old 05-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #18 
Sakura8

I think so and because they can see the other betta and he's really close. It must get them so excited they mistake their big trailing tails for another male. Or they just are stressed. I'll never know but sadly, my two in a divided tank have to stay that way - no room for any other setup right now.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #19 
True Indigo

Yeah, I'm coming under threat of having to get divided tanks. I started to realize I wanted 4 Bettas and the least I'd be comfortable putting them into is 5 gallon tanks. I have 1 5 gal and 1 10 gal. I originally want to keep 2, but then wanted 3, and now that I realize my likes and dislikes in terms of betta fish, I'm trying to fight off my want for 4. I only have two (one of them is going to be given up since he was just a rescue), but my current fascination with Aquabid and my love to going to my local stores is making me realize how hard it'll be to do that.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #20 
Tikibirds

welcome to the tail bitter club.

Quote:
I don't think Bettas bite their fins due to tank size
I think if the tank is too empty, it makes them feel unsafe and can lead to bitting. I had one HM in everything from a 1 gallon up to a 10 gallon. I think he just wanted to be a crowntail.

I fell asleep with him floating in a cup after a WC. Ever since that day he bit his fins
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote