Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-22-2012, 12:24 PM   #1 
Comet1993

Unhappy Lonely Betta... =[

Turbo passed away, and Luna's all alone now.. She was so depressed when he died. Now, she doesn't have a little friend. <.> I feel so bad for her. I was planning on using the now-empty ten-gallon tank as a betta sorority, but I have concerns about that. I've heard horror stories of little betta girls dying because one of them was having a bad day and decided to take it out on the others.. Even if they had previously gotten along. >.> So, I don't know if I want to do that now.. So, what could I do? I have this ten-gallon tank, a moss ball, and several plants that I want to line the bottom with to make a natural-looking bottom.. Any ideas? :/
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:39 PM   #2 
Mo

Most bettas that are fairly non aggresive shouldn't have any problems. At the first sign of sight of fighting you should just isolate the aggressive fish, usually if the sorority is fine and the tank is planted like this then there should be minimal aggression other then the pecking order in the very beginning

Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #3 
Comet1993

Wow. o.o That's lovely. Very green. I think I'll need more plants. Lol. I pretty much will have the lower level of the tank covered.. But I'm going to need more cover for the middle and upper layers.. I thought about some floating plants, maybe. Like duckweed stuff, but it's supposed to grow quickly, and I'm afraid it would block light from my plants. I bought new bulbs. 6,500K each. =] It's sooo bright. xD My other bulbs look orange compared to them!
Comet1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #4 
lilyth88

I can never comprehend why people get large tanks like that and fill it halfway. You're essentially turning a 20 gallon into a 10, or a 40 into a 20.
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #5 
Mo

If the The desk can't hold enough weight. SBD problems, feeding problems, having ADF's, etc. there are tons of reasons

Last edited by Mo; 04-22-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #6 
Twilight Storm

I'm sorry to hear your betta passed away. :(

If you don't feel comfortable making a sorority tank because you don't have enough plants yet you can always go find another betta. I know when I go into the stores there are a lot of little fish begging me to take them home and get them out of the store.

And mo, nice floating plants they look so healthy in there.
Twilight Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:59 PM   #7 
NoahG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo View Post
If the The desk can't hold enough weight. SBD problems, feeding problems, having ADF's, etc. there are tons of reasons
Just simply wanting an open top aquarium can be added to this list of reasons. For example, I'm not planning to fill my 30 Cube all the way (perhaps just to, say, 25-gallons) and am thinking of doing a more or less open top and letting some plants grow up and out of the tank.

I'd also like to some day do a 50-55-gallon sorority, open top (again, letting plants grow up and out of it), filled to, say, perhaps 75% because I kind of like that look.

A lot of people leave a good deal of space in their tanks unfilled, especially when they have fish prone to jumping.
NoahG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:42 AM   #8 
Bombalurina

Hi Comet :)

As long as you use low-light plants, they won't have a problem with the duckweed. It covers the entire surface of my tank, but I am still growing elodea, hornwort, java fern, java moss, anubias, rotala wallachi, lacefern, ambulia and ludwigia repens no problems. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #9 
Pogthefish

I have a betta sorority and its not that heavily planted and it works fine
Attached Images

Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #10 
Pogthefish

And i even removed alot of decor just have the real plants and the colleseum now
Pogthefish is offline   Reply With Quote