Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #21 
Basement Bettas

The Proform-C is good to have on hand. Treast costia too andis mild. Does not affect biological filtration and can get almost immediate relief if infestation not to bad. Udual treatment 3 days. Recently had to treat a Juvie tank that got it when I went to the OK show and the ammonia spiked in their tank. Treated a week to get under control with the proform-c
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:01 PM   #22 
s thomas

@ Basement Bettas

Will the shrimp be okay using pro form C?

EDIT:

Nevermind, we're off to the LFS to make sure we treat him aggressively. Thank you both for your advice, I appreciate your honesty and directness and will let you know how he does.

Last edited by s thomas; 05-12-2012 at 02:05 PM. Reason: content
s thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #23 
s thomas

Well we got a hospital all set up and Little B is lounging on a silk plant so he can keep his mouth out of the water.

The parameters in the hospital are:
Temp: 82
Wrapped with construction paper for darkness.
Aquarium salt at the concentration of 1T : 10gal
Unfiltered for calmer, current-free water.

I also started the main tank with the aquarium salt at the same concentration, the cories seem happy and are eating and schooling around. The glass shrimp was even hanging out with them.

I wasn't able to find pro-form-c at 4 local fish stores, petsmart or petco. So I had a chat with the owner of one of the stores who had clean floors and amazing selection of fish. She looked at my pictures and echoed everything you all shared with me. She suggested I try matracyn (sp? I'm not at home to be sure...) until the proform-c comes in next week and I'll see how he does.

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I'll keep you updated as to how he progresses.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #24 
s thomas

I should also say that I tested the water parameters twice to make sure I was following the directions properly. Here's what I got:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0-0.25 (between zero and the first lowest reading on the chart)
pH: 7.2
I also checked the source water and it did have ammonia at 0.5, I'm glad I've been using the Prime and will continue to do so.

Last edited by s thomas; 05-12-2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-13-2012, 02:30 AM   #25 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by s thomas View Post
I should also say that I tested the water parameters twice to make sure I was following the directions properly. Here's what I got:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0-0.25 (between zero and the first lowest reading on the chart)
pH: 7.2
I also checked the source water and it did have ammonia at 0.5, I'm glad I've been using the Prime and will continue to do so.
The higher [than say 6 we like to keep bettas at] pH will discourage velvet. I got my P-C from a Koi and pond supplier. They have some cool meds.. lol. Good place to pick up potassium pomanganate for sterilizing tanks and nets too. Keep him clean. Make sure he keeps eating and keep water clean. if you can do bbs a lot of times they will eat that even when off food.. and it seems to be like chicken soup. Live food like mosquito larvae will also tempt if a bit off food.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #26 
Sakura8

Good advice, BB. By the way, s thomas, is it Maracyn that they suggested you use at the pet store? It will help with any internal bacterial infections from velvet but it won't do a thing for the velvet itself. And it won't work very well in high pH waters anyway. Go with salt for now.

Good luck, keep us updated!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #27 
s thomas

Thank you Both for your help.

Yesterday, Little B seemed a little better, moving his pectoral and tail fins more, less white around his mouth and the cottony tufts on his fins seemed smaller. However, he still didn't seem to want to eat, which I know you said was a really bad sign.

Sadly this morning I awoke to find Little B dead on the bottom of the tank under the heater. Most of the soft part of his body behind his gills had been consumed, so I assume this was from an internal parasite, but would again appreciate your advice.

In the meantime can you point me in the right direction for sanitizing the tank and maybe treating the cories just in case? I'll continue to look myself there's just a volume of information out there.

Thank you all again for your help. I will now carry things like pro form-c on hand. I see a lot of amateur aquarists running to the boards for advice on things they should have known from proper research and time and again you all have kindly helped them, as you did me. Like a lot of people I thought we were doing a good job with him, and this was really sad for my son and I.

We still plan on keeping the cories and will probably keep a larger school now, once I know the ones I have are healthy. We will probably also start another Betta tank when we are ready.

Sadly the timing of this couldn't have been worse. My son's mother died just over a year ago and we had spent the week doing things to remember mommy, including remembering the fish that mommy kept for him. For our present fish to die on mother's day just seems so unfair of fate for a five year old kid to suffer in this position, so we're going to need a little time on this one.

Thank you all again for your directness, your prompt help, accurate advice and genuine interest in helping us make our little friend better. I'm glad there's a community here to help people in this hobby.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #28 
Sakura8

Hi s thomas. I'm so sorry Little B passed and at the time that he did. You have my deepest sympathies about him and about your son's mother.

We are always happy to help you here on the forum so any time you are ready, just drop a line.

For sterilizing the tank, I would say remove the plants and place them in water that hasn't been dechlorinated. Use a dilute bleach solution (1 part bleach to 19 parts water) and rinse the tank and decor, then rinse and rinse until you no longer smell any bleach. Use extra dechlorinator the first time you fill the tank back up.

For treating the cories, if they are responding to the salt dip/bath, you can continue with that for a few days and then try the pro form-c if they still look like they might be sick.

You say part of his body looked like it had been consumed? I'm not 100% sure but I guess the velvet parasites could have done that.

Velvet is a tough one to deal with. It can be harder to spot until it's in its more advanced (and more noticeable) stages and by then, it can be too late. Even if it is caught early, treatment is not always successful. So you did the best you could. I'm sure Little B appreciated the love and care you gave him
Old 05-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #29 
s thomas

Thank you.

His body had been consumed from behind his gills and past his anal fin to his tail and up to his spine. It was pretty shocking how fast whatever had killed him had gotten through his body. I didn't see any worms but I admit I didn't look very closely.

As far as the cories, they didn't seem to exhibit any symptoms and are still schooling around together in the tank, eating well and Paling around with the shrimp. I thought they may have had velvet too because of the gold dusting behind their gills.

However, when I look at pictures of other cories and checked out all the ones around town on our outing for supplies the other day, every corydora had that gold coloring that mine have so my suspicion has gone down. One of the best places I found was the catfish section and corydora gallery of the tropicalfishkeeping.com forums. Tons and tons of pictures.

They'll still get a salt concentration of 1T:10gal in their tank and a close eye for a while before they get any new additions to their school.

Part of me wonders if the little Cory that I thought Little B killed actually had a parasite he transferred to little B. I never actually saw the betta be aggressive to the cories and made the assumption he killed him based on a substantial wound on the Cory when I found his body. Is that possible a parasite killed the little guy and migrated?

If I pull all the plants and clean everything from scratch I'd need to start a cycle all over again too, right? The idea being killing everything including the bacteria in the biofilter in order to start over in order to be sure that whatever killed the fish is dead too?
Old 05-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #30 
Sakura8

I've never seen dwarf cories up close so I'm not sure but I know many cories do have some iridescence to them so maybe that's the gold part. It is highly possible the dead cory passed something along to Little B. How long were they in the same tank together?

I can do some research and see what I find about internal parasites that might eat dead hosts. In any other circumstance, I would say it was tankmates but since he was housed alone at the time of his death, there's definitely another factor involved.

Unfortunately, to tear down the tank completely does mean to reset the cycle, especially if you throw out all the filter media currently in there. If you don't replace the filter media then you won't lose your complete cycle. You may experience a spike but if you keep an eye on the parameters with a test kit, you can do a water change and minimize its effect.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if parasites can live in the filter. I'll do some checking around and see what I come up with.

Last edited by Sakura8; 05-15-2012 at 12:34 AM.

Tags
illness, lethargy