Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #21 
thekoimaiden

Never do a 100% water change on a cycled tank. You can do two 50% water changes in a day if the ammonia is really high, but never a 100%. Removing all of the water will hurt the budding BB colonies.

The cycling process will cause an ammonia spike in the first few weeks followed by a nitrite spike (which is also harmful to the fish). This total takes about two months. The BB colonies consist of bacterial colonies that take care of ammonia and nitrite. Cycling This article explains the cycles better than I can right now. It is also accompanied by charts.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:06 PM   #22 
bettalover06

Question Oranda's 30G tank

I've been monitoring my tank which is 4 days old today, by doing water check every other day, as I've read somewhere on this forum.

My results:

As of 5/14
pH 7.6 ; Ammonia 0.50ppm ; Nitrite 0.25ppm ; Nitrate 0ppm

Today: 05/16
pH 7.6 ; Ammonia 0.50ppm ; Nitrite 0.50ppm ; Nitrate 0ppm

1) Is this a time to do 50% WC, or monitor for 2 more days?
bettalover06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #23 
thekoimaiden

Time to do a water change immediately!!! Change 50% of the water any time either ammonia or nitrite reads more than 0.25 ppm.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:59 PM   #24 
bettalover06

Thanks again Izzy for reply. But I was worried so I did 80-90% WC hopefully I did not destroy the BB :( I will continue to monitor water. Thanks again for all your help :)
bettalover06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #25 
thekoimaiden

I love helping people with goldfish! It's no problem for me. Tamyu had a great idea for large water changes. Take out about 90% of the water, fill the tanks, and then remove another 90% of the water. This amounts to roughly a 95% water change. This is basically an emergency measure, like if you find the ammonia or nitrite is at 1 ppm.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:54 AM   #26 
LeroyTheBetta

Hi all... haven't posted for a while here, but just wanted to make a comment about oxygenating the water.

The bubbles from an airstone do not actually oxygenate the water. Oxygen transfer only happens at the surface, so you actually need your water to circulate so that water below the surface reaches the top to pick up oxygen.

What bubbles from an airstone do is sort of push a tiny column of water up to the surface with each bubble. So, it helps the water become oxygenated this way.... sort of circulating it, but the bubbles it makes don't actually add oxygen to the water.

Circulation is the key. :)

And good luck with your orandas! I've got 6 goldfish, one is a blue oranda named Mr. Slate ..... he's the baby of the bunch right now, but will outgrow them all!

Julie (I need to redo my siggy line..... so plain signature for now)
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote