Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2012, 05:39 AM   #1 
Sheldon31

Do you NEED a filter to cycle a tank?

Silly question but I have an 8 gal tank with no filter at this moment but I want to begin cycling it now so it'll be ready by July and mature by next winter. I thought i'd have a filter by now but due to unforeseen circumstances the filter just hasn't happened. My tax return comes next month so I will be doing the tank up fully then with plants and a filter etc.

I'm not sure what I'm doing with this tank tbh. I've never done a tank properly because of misinformation and not doing adequate research but this is my project.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:33 AM   #2 
Kim

Well, the bacteria need a source of oxygen, which I think is a key issue here. Without a filter you will have a very stagnant tank, and although the bacteria do colonize in the gravel, they may not proliferate very well if lacking oxygen. The one exception is that it may be possible to cycle the tank if you were to put in an airstone to oxygenate and circulate the water. In fact, I think I actually did this once before my filter came in and the tank did begin to establish a cycle. However, this was just a temporary situation.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #3 
Sheldon31

Doesn't matter now. Someone's offered to sell me one lol. Hopefully that will come through so I can start cycling on tuesday at the latest.
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #4 
Thunderloon

Circulation is mandatory and the bacteria will grow anywhere, but yes using a filter and cycling the filter is the better option.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote