Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #1 
asadikeen

Is my Betta fish sick?

Hey everyone, I am new to these forums, and I'm mainly here because i think that there might be something wrong with my Betta. In total i have had three Bettas, two died. My current Betta has been with me for more than six months, his name is Toby, he is a male and he is pink. He is showing signs by acting like my past two Bettas, which has started to worry me. I woke up this morning to find blood worms that i gave him last night still at the top of his water. Toby loves to eat, especially blood worms. He usually jumps at them the moment i put them in his water. He isnt as active, and he is swimming diagonally. I also spotted what looks like a little bit of ick on his fins. He also looks a little bloated. Is Toby sick? If so is there anyway i can treat him? I just changed his water today because i was afraid his water was the problem, but after the water change he still is acting the same.
Here are some pictures:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/444/img5168g.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/571/img7807w.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/687/img8495u.jpg/
Any help is appreciated, really dont want to lose Toby
Thanks guys

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? room temperature
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets and freeze dried blood owrms
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? usually once a week, but something once in two weeks.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? all of it, not sure how to change it gradually..
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? betta bowl plus water conditioner/dchlorinator. Brand is Aqueon

Last edited by asadikeen; 05-11-2012 at 04:36 PM.
asadikeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #2 
lvandert

With a gallon tank you need to change the water once every other day, also it needs to be heated, unless you have your room set to 78-82 degrees. He didn't seem bloated in the pictures so that's not a problem. Do you feed live bloodworms or freeze dried? The freeze dried can be a problem if given too often.
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #3 
asadikeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
With a gallon tank you need to change the water once every other day, also it needs to be heated, unless you have your room set to 78-82 degrees. He didn't seem bloated in the pictures so that's not a problem. Do you feed live bloodworms or freeze dried? The freeze dried can be a problem if given too often.
i give him the freeze dried ones. Ill remember that from now on. I know how much he likes them so i sometimes give them to him two-three times a week.
Are there any heaters for 1 gallon tanks like the one i have that i can purchase?
Old 05-11-2012, 06:14 PM   #4 
lvandert

yeah, amazon sells a betta bowl heater that sits on the bottom of the tank and is designed for "betta bowls" or one gallon tanks. It works well I have one. Generally the main sign of an ammonia build up is becoming lethargic/laying on the bottom.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:43 AM   #5 
asadikeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvandert View Post
yeah, amazon sells a betta bowl heater that sits on the bottom of the tank and is designed for "betta bowls" or one gallon tanks. It works well I have one. Generally the main sign of an ammonia build up is becoming lethargic/laying on the bottom.
Thanks for the info.
he actually is doing much better now.
back to normal.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:37 AM   #6 
lvandert

yay!! Good to hear it