Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: How do you set up your spawn?
Add male/female at same time. (With or without chimney.) 4 33.33%
Allow male time alone in the spawn tank to establish territory. 8 66.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #1 
Megalechis

Question Your Opinion?

Simply looking for some different people's opinions. I've been re-reading spawning methods since my first attempt failed. Some articles I see add both male or female to the tank together (with or without chimney/jar/etc) while others let the males establish a territory (a couple hours to overnight) before even letting him see the female.

Which do you do when you set up for a spawn?
Megalechis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #2 
KadenJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalechis View Post
Simply looking for some different people's opinions. I've been re-reading spawning methods since my first attempt failed. Some articles I see add both male or female to the tank together (with or without chimney/jar/etc) while others let the males establish a territory (a couple hours to overnight) before even letting him see the female.

Which do you do when you set up for a spawn?
In my experience, the female receives less of a beating from the male if he has run of the tank first. In order for them to successfully spawn, she must show submissiveness to the male. Throwing them both in there forces a battle for dominance, where as keeping them separated at first lets the male get his point across without being able to reach her.
KadenJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #3 
EvilVOG

introduce at the same time, but chimney or cup the girl and wait for the dance and a bubble nest.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #4 
Curlyfatbottom

Find a pair that Ive want to breed.(3week in advance)
Feed them a high diet of live food
Set up a tank(2 week ahead)
With clean water
Some plant
Few drop of infusion
Set up a culture of Microworm/spit an old culture up(2 week ahead)

With new pair I always release the male first.
Then float the female on top.
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #5 
Megalechis

Seems split right down the middle so far! Both sides have made good points.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Lots of different ways to successfully spawn this species-its finding what works for you, the breeders and what you have on hand....Often spawning can be different even with the same pair......

Sometimes you have to try different methods....Its finding their spawning triggers-even though they are domesticated they are still instinct driven....

With some of mine I have to isolate so that neither can see any other fish for a few days, some I have to do the shock method, some won't spawn with the lights on and others only will spawn when going from really dirty water to clean tanned water.....it varies from breeder to breeder and spawn to spawn.....

One thing I have found with all of them....mass feeding mosquito larva will get them ready to spawn in a few days.

I use a more natural method in soil based heavy planted tanks full to the top with water-I usually add both breeders at the same time and go from that point-if I don't have a spawn within 24h I start tweaking the methods/triggers until I have a successful spawn.

For new hobbyist-IMO it is better to start with the standard half full or full to the top in 10gal tanks without filters, bare bottom, live plants are always a plus but fake plants will work, a few common snails- after the pair are conditioned, add the male to the tank and the female cupped/chimney then release her once they are showing readiness.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #7 
Megalechis

Shock method?
Old 05-06-2012, 11:15 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

When I have a stubborn pair I will use the shock method-that being-breeders are kept in small separate containers for a week so they can't see any fish-no water changes, mass fed mosquito larva, temp allowed to drop-I want the temp to be in the 75-76F range-the spawning tank in the 80-81F range-I then dump both in the spawning tank at the same time-they experience a bit of a shock....usually I will have a spawn within an hour with this method-I only use this method on healthy spawning age stubborn breeders.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #9 
Sena Hansler

I prfer adding the male first, then after a day or so I introduce the female in: a cup, a breeder's box/net, floating container. Once he stops attacking the barrier, is more interested in beckoning and building a nest then trying to get at her viciously, and she's head down with stripes I add her :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:37 PM   #10 
jeffegg2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadenJames View Post
In my experience, the female receives less of a beating from the male if he has run of the tank first. In order for them to successfully spawn, she must show submissiveness to the male. Throwing them both in there forces a battle for dominance, where as keeping them separated at first lets the male get his point across without being able to reach her.
There were only two choices. with and without seperation, and just male alone.

I agree to keep them separated with a jar/chimney. But that was choice one.

There should be three choices with this poll.....
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote