Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2012, 04:03 AM   #11 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Quote:
The other major reservation I have is travel. I won't be going home every weekend, and I have a good friend who will be going home even less, so the fish won't be traveling an inordinate amount. However, it will have to go home with me on breaks and such. (The other reason for the small tank is so that I can take it back and forth easily.) How stressful will this be on my fish friend? I know from experience (when we got our first betta, we were HORRIBLE fish parents. sad but true...) that these fish are hardy, but I want to make sure that I'm not going to harm the fish!
are you driving or is someone else? If you are not driving and are only an hour away - it's easiest to put him into a cup with a lid - either his store cup or a coffee cup with the lid and either hold him or keep him in the cup holder. He won't like it but he will be OK - an hour isn't THAT bad. I had hold mine for TEN days- from alaska to new york. I would say the most important thing is tempature. If you are in the south or someplace hot with the AC - make sure your buddy stays warm. I had to hold my 2 on my lap, under 4 blankets with he heat on almost full blast - of course I was doing this in wintertime and it was -40F outside most of the way.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #12 
Tazo

Wow, thank you guys so much! I went to sleep and when I woke up there was this awesome amount of great information. The fact that there's this great of a community to help my little fish makes me so much more confident about getting him.

Yeah, I will be looking for the healthiest betta I can. It's always really tempting to get the saddest looking one, but I know I'm not equipped or experienced enough to deal with some of the problems they could have. :/ Still, getting any fish out of those little cups will be good enough for me.

I'm in Georgia, so I'm not too worried about the temperature during travel for the most part. Even for Winter Break I think he'll be fine for the hour and a half in a heated car. Hopefully I'll only really have to move him during Spring/Winter break and for the Summer, when I have to get everything out of the dorm. Other week long breaks I should either be staying at the college or be able to get someone else to look after him.

Anyway, I certainly welcome any more tips you guys have. But I'm definitely much more confident now! Thank you all so much.
Tazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #13 
True Indigo

No problem, if you continue to stick around, you'll find that what this community has to offer is a great and wide expanse of betta knowledge. :)
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #14 
thekoimaiden

If your other breaks like fall break, thanksgiving break, and spring break are just a week long, then you don't actually need someone to look after him. You can just leave him there provided the electricity is left on in the dorms. Betta are fine for about 2 weeks without food. This way you won't have to worry about your betta getting overfed. Or even worse. There was a user who came here about a month back in shock because she left her betta in the hands of her roommate who decided to put another betta in there to make them fight.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #15 
True Indigo

Crappy roommate... I don't know what I would have done to that person if they did that...

And yeah, for the shorter breaks it isn't bad leaving them for a week. However, I couldn't help but bring my betta over for a week during my spring break. Hahaha.
True Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #16 
Lynntastic

Trust me, you will have a lot more free time in college than you think. I'm heading into my senior year and I manage to be bored half the time despite class, work, and two dogs that I primarily care for. Which is why I felt no problem adding a new fish on top of that.

I can't say much about keeping fish in a dorm (I lived in a dorm freshman year and didn't keep a fish, but since moved back home because only freshman are allowed to use the dorms and I couldn't afford rent). But I do suggest setting some kind of weekly alarm on your phone or something to let you know when to clean the tank. When you have a schedule that varies from day to day it can be hard to keep track of other things.
Lynntastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:50 PM   #17 
Sakura8

The alarm thing is a great idea!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #18 
Tazo

I know my roommate, so I'm not really worried about that happening, thank goodness! She wouldn't hurt a fly ;__;.
Yeah, I'm only going to be moving the tank when I /have/ to. Some breaks we are required to get everything out of the dorm and go home. Breaks when I don't have to go home I might still be at the college anyway for at least part of the week xD.
My tank (I ended up getting an Aqueon mini bow 2.5) came in the mail today, along with food, aq salt, Seachem prime, a heater (cheap little 50 watt Tetra...), gravel, and some gems xD. Hopefully the decorations I got will get here tomorrow or the next day, and then I'll be pretty much ready for a fish <3
Tazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #19 
Sakura8

Congrats, Tazo! :D Sounds like a great little setup.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:35 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
If your other breaks like fall break, thanksgiving break, and spring break are just a week long, then you don't actually need someone to look after him. You can just leave him there provided the electricity is left on in the dorms. Betta are fine for about 2 weeks without food. This way you won't have to worry about your betta getting overfed. Or even worse. There was a user who came here about a month back in shock because she left her betta in the hands of her roommate who decided to put another betta in there to make them fight.
OMG I didn't see that. I would have been livid.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote