What size is your tank?
2.5 Gallons
What temperature is your tank? ~76 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes but not plugged in
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? N/A
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Tetra Betta Plus pellets. I also gave him a few Omega One freeze dried blood worms.

How often do you feed your betta fish? I've only had him since yesterday, and since he seemed ill, I've only fed him a couple of pellets and a couple of blood worms. He is eating, which I'm assuming is good.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
I only put him in his tank yesterday. I was going to do a 50% water change today so I don't stress him out. However, my normal water change routine would be a 100% water change and a 50% water change a week since the tank is small if he was healthy.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? I am planning on doing a 50% water change or 100% daily depending on what he needs to hopefully get better.

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I put in Seachem prime.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
.25ppm
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment

How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
N/A

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
At petsmart, he was one of the more active betta in his cup. He darted around the cup. But when I brought him home and put him in the new tank, he stayed at the bottom, barely swam, and seemed to have a hard time breathing. He hid in the corner. By the end of the day, he seemed more adjusted, and is eating, and is much more active now. Swimming back and forth constantly. Seems very alert.

Hm. I am noticing little pieces of red at the bottom of his tank. It obviously is not food. I cleaned up the excess food earlier. Maybe he also has fin rot?

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Within an hour.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
I put him in clean, water, and put aquarium salt in the water and a few drops of Bettafix. At first I thought it was fin rot but then I noticed the gray around his mouth. I don't think I should combine the bettafix and the aquarium salt.

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
Eh, I have no idea how long he was sitting on the shelf at Petsmart, but when I bought him he was swimming in blue water with old food flakes and his own feces. Actually...when I brought him home, his water in the little cup did have white milky stringy things in it.

How old is your fish (approximately)?
Not sure. I only got him yesterday, so I can't tell you how old he is.

Here are some pictures.

jediwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #2 
cjayBetta

Id just start a 10 AQ salt treatment with really clean water and he should be back in shape in no time.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #3 
Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post

Columnaris
•Symptoms: White spots on mouth, edges of scales and fins, Cottony Growth that eats away at the mouth, Fins rapidly disingrate, starting at the edges
Gray areas around head and gills, As the disease progresses the gray lesions may change in color to yellow/brown/red, Lesions often occur in front of the dorsal causing a “saddleback” appearance, Lethargic, Loss of appetite, Clamped, Gasping for air
•Treatment: There are 2 versions of Columnaris: chronic and acute. Chronic Columnaris can take days to progress while acute can kill within a day. It is contagious so isolate sick fish. If more than one fish shows symptoms then treat the entire tank. Perform daily 100% water change in small tanks or ¾ water change in larger tanks. Make sure to clean the gravel. Treat with Aq.Salt: add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Do NOT raise the temperature as it thrives in temps over 85*F, however, lowering the temperature does not seem to help fight it. Combine salt treatment with Mardel’s Coppersafe, Maracyn I & II, API Erythromycin, OR API Triple Sulfa, combined with Jungle’s Fungus Eliminator (if possible).
Hope this helped
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Why did you think columnaris? A lot of red/blue fish have grey patches on their faces naturally. His look normal. Unless they start getting bigger it's no problem..
Sounds like fin rot, and you're already treating that properly. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #5 
jediwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Why did you think columnaris? A lot of red/blue fish have grey patches on their faces naturally. His look normal. Unless they start getting bigger it's no problem..
Sounds like fin rot, and you're already treating that properly. ;)
Posted via Mobile Device
Wow really? I didn't know that! I'll keep an eye on it just to make sure but this makes me feel so much better!
jediwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #6 
Mo

He does look to have a bit of fin rot. I would monitor that aswell
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote