Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #1 
Evelyn

Small white/silver spots appeared, then disappeared. Ich??

I just got my betta the day before yesterday. He's staying in a 1 gallon bowl right now until I get a proper home for him, ASAP. I'm doing daily partial water changes and will be cleaning out the whole bowl once a week. I'm using Prime water conditoner. He's the first fish I've ever had.

He really came alive after getting out of the tiny cup he was in, and I even found a bubble nest this morning. So he seems helthy to me, swimming about, exploring his little cave etc. A few hours ago I noticed a very small white spot on his dorsal fin, and I thought it was a tiny air bubble, because that's what it looked like. A little while later it was gone, but there was one that looked like it on his caudal fin. He turned to swim the opposite way, and there was a matching one that looked to be in the same place but on the opposite side. A while later, one of them disappeared. And just a minute ago he turned very quickly, and the other was gone.

I couldn't find anything that said whether or not Ich spots disappear so soon after showing up, so I'm a little confused. Could they have been tiny bubbles or something?? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.
Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:56 AM   #2 
Tamyu

It does sound like they were probably air bubbles.
That doesn't mean he doesn't have ich - it may show up later - but the spots don't appear and disappear that quickly.

Sometimes bubbles just stick to the fish in new water. If they were silvery and shiny, they definitely weren't ich. Ich looks sort of matte, and isn't shiny.
Tamyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:12 AM   #3 
Evelyn

Thank you very much for your reply! I've been fighting a losing battle with Google trying to figure this out. I read that marine ich spots disappear, but I read it isn't the same as freshwater ich, so I suppose marine ich is for saltwater, then?

If the spots show up again should I assume it's ich? How do I treat him?
Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:09 AM   #4 
Tamyu

I would just keep an eye on him for the time being like you should with any new fish to make sure he isn't carrying any illnesses. If he does turn out to have ich, there are tons of threads on this board about treating it. The best treatment tends to be heat and salt. But for right now, I would say with almost complete certainty that what you saw on him were air bubbles sticking to his slime coat. It happens to mine all the time after water changes. My female likes to sniff at bubbles on the tank wall and inevitably ends up with one or two stuck on her face for a few hours after.

I would definitely look into getting a proper home for him as quickly as possible though. Small unheated bowls can really weaken the immune system and bring on illnesses that otherwise would have been fought off. Plus, he will be so much happier you will be able to see it.
Tamyu is offline   Reply With Quote