Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2012, 02:25 AM   #1 
Dementia

Cycling with...

Okay, so (as if it's not a tad obvious) I am new to the forum and decided to sign up to obtain some opinions via post.

I've been doing a ton of snooping and research on caring for these awesome little scaly minions and have decided to upgrade to a 5 or 10 gallon tank to split between a few of my boys. While this upgrade is currently on hold 'till after my Rock on the Range excitement, it is on the agenda as soon as my next paycheck rolls through the bank.

Anyways, onto my entire reason for this thread...

Has anyone used, or does anyone recommend starting a tank with API Quick start or any of the "live" gravel choices? If I used the gravel in a 5 or 10 gallon how much would one recommend to get it cycled? (I tend to use marbles mostly or along with rock.)

Thanks!
Dementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:21 AM   #2 
Bombalurina

I'm not sure about this live gravel - what is it?

I wouldn't bother with bacteria-in-a-bottle type things. A lot of them don't work - after all, how are they keeping the bacteria alive in the bottle with no ammonia to feed it?

What will work is substrate, decorations or filter media from a disease free established tank. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #3 
Tikibirds

Do you mean the live rock used for salt water aquariums?
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #4 
Dementia

The gravel... http://www.activbetta.com/ I was at a pet store and came across this while snooping the fish section. Was all O.o so decided to look it up online.

Even with using the "instant" route I would let the tank run for a bit before tossing the boys in.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #5 
ao
TFK Moderator

seems like one of those sales things... the bacteria they use are not the true bacteria that will naturally colonize your tank. There are many products out there that claim to work, but don't really. SafeStart by Tetra is apparently more reliable.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #6 
thekoimaiden

If you know someone with a disease-free and well-maintained setup you can get some gravel from them. This will probably do more for your tank than those bacteria in a bottle products.

And welcome to the forum!!
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:59 PM   #7 
Dementia

Thanks for the welcome & the input.

I figured it was more of a gimmick, considering (as someone pointed out earlier) it would be difficult to create and maintain the bacteria in a bottle or a bag. Sadly I do not know anyone, I'm not even sure our 20g tank is super proper atm. I only had the strip testing kit. As soon as I get my master kit hopefully it will tell me if it's safe to snag a plant from the big tank. I also don't know how well maintained our two local pet stores really are... and we all know NOT to trust the infamous wally world. Not that they even put forth the effort to decorate the tanks they do have, /grumble.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:04 PM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

What do you intend using as your ammonia source?

As Bomba and Izzy suggest, getting a small amount of established media or substrate is the only way to go for a quick, safe fishless cycle. (Or even fishin, if you want to spend the time and stress your fish.)
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #9 
Dementia

After reading about the different methods I'll either be doing the food method or finding some pure ammonia. I need to test the family tank to make sure it is well established before I snake anything from it, and if it is then I can snag some goods from it.

I have this insane guilty conscious when it comes to making a minion miserable. So I want to do this in the least stressful manner I possibly can. I feel bad enough that I'm sorta backwards in my schedule so they are stuck with me being flip flopped. I don't really like to even kill most bugs, although I'm surrounded by people terrified of spiders so I have to be the bad guy all the time there.