Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-06-2012, 02:49 AM   #1 
Captain Jim Dandy

Attempt to save parrotfish,and bristlenose

Today about 2:00 I am picking up two "blood parrotfish and a bristlenose pleco. They are all a few years old and about four inches long. Done some reading and looking, but info seems a bit vague and not clear(lots of opinions) so I come to my most trustworthy place-- you guys. Can you suggest how and what to feed these new species(to me) and any "nuances" or peculiaralities of these guys, please?Are plecos dangerous to neons? Thanks,... CJD
Captain Jim Dandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:51 AM   #2 
Megalechis

Bristlenose pl*cos are pretty chill. Just make sure you get some driftwood for the tank as it's beneficial for them. As for feeding, pl*cos are often a hit or miss - just try around with different food until they take something. I've had pl*cos who will eat anything and others who will take nothing less than fresh fruit/veggies. (Cucumber, pear, small doses, removed within an hour.)
Megalechis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden

Bristlenose are a good pleco species because they stay small enough to fit in a 10 gal tank. All they need is driftwood. They also like a little current, so if you put the driftwood under the water return you'll always find them there.

I've never kept cichlids, so I can't tell you much about them. I suggest reading our fish profiles for both the bristlenose pleco and Blood parrot cichlid to get some more insight into feeding habits and tank mates.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:15 PM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Blood parrots are pretty comical guys. However I think you're best off getting a 40-50 gallon tank for just them. They will most likely harass any smaller fish. They could live with the pleco though.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #5 
syds mom

Blood parrots are the puppy of choice. They will eat just about anything from frozen to freeze dried, flakes. I give mine blood worms as a treat only and they love it. Like Olympia stated, a 40-55 gallon would be best.
No live plants though. They will tear them to shreds. Artificial only. Mine live with a redtail shark and bala sharks. Just make sure you dont put them with aggressive fish because of their mouths they cant defend themselves very well. make sure the substrate is fine because they like to dig.
. Make sure they have a have a place to hide and big enough for both as they gather together at night. I have a rock cave for mine. As for neons, I wouldnt try it.
syds mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:11 AM   #6 
Captain Jim Dandy

As usual you guys are most wonderful people.. these fish were going to some pet store 'til the last minute when the lady I bought this 55 gallon tank from got nervous that her parrotfish would be separated. So these beauties are in a 40 gallon with the bristlenose for now.I have only one piece of driftwood(real wood) so I intend to send for some along with an RO unit some java moss,and well, I would like to save shipping costs; Ill ask again. Can someone recommend a brand of unit or how many stages to go from hard to soft for Apistogrammas(As far as keeping two 55 gallon aquariums)?
Old 05-12-2012, 09:03 AM   #7 
Fabian

Cichlids are aggressive towards each other but i don't think blood parrot are aggressive.I've ever kept 2 in a 14 gallon.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #8 
Captain Jim Dandy

Holding their own

Well, these guys are a little big for a 14 gallon. One guy is about the size of a baseball, and the other guy is about the size of a softball. At least I think they are both guys! I'm feeding them Cichlid sticks right now, but plan to broaden their diet. I can't believe I'm even planning to keep these weird softies.There is a bristlenose pleco in there as well.. he gets algae wafers. What I want to do is get started with apistos, but I'm having problems getting my water right. Um you are right-- these two are not very aggressive. I don't trust them with neons, though...because neons seem to sleep on the floor in a coma. (Trouble) Thanks Fabian...CJD
Old 05-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Agression can vary.. There is no set formula of which fish to X to make blood parrots, different species are used. Some are very friendly and some are very mean.
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #10 
Captain Jim Dandy

Red face Variables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Agression can vary.. There is no set formula of which fish to X to make blood parrots, different species are used. Some are very friendly and some are very mean.
Posted via Mobile Device
I guess since I really don't know their parents.. I have no way of knowing what their lifespan could be.