Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #1 
Sly13Cat

Question 1 Male, 2 Females

We have 4 Bettas in containers (Less than 2gals). We wanted to put my Male Veiltail and 2 Female Veiltails in the fixed 10gal. It'll be heavily planted (With real and fake plants) and there'll be plenty of hiding places. I'm just trying to get all the Bettas out of bowls. The tank won't be cycled (I may buy Safe Start) and it won't be heated. I'll add enough live plants to hopefully suck up some of the ammonia in the tank. It may be a Walstad (Dirted) tank. I'll have to do 40% water changes for a month (Then it should be cycled). By 2 months from now I should be able to buy the test kit, heater, etc.

The real question is, will the male and 2 Females be okay in the 10gal? I've heard of people doing it but I just wanted to know if it's okay.
Sly13Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #2 
MaisyDawgThirteen

Males and females should never be kept together. Females can be kept together but they have to be in groups of 5 and above for it to be safe.

I also highly reccomend you cycle your tank.

I noticed you live in Canada - you will definitely need a heater. Bettas come from a tropical climate (South-East Asia). They like temps between 76-82, but 78-80 is the sweet spot.

I hope I helped! ;D
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Groups of 4 are fine :p

If you had the tank divided into 2, it would be better. 2 females will kill each other as their aggrssion is honed in on the only other fish there... Males should never be with females, or other males, because even if they seem "fine" not only are they getting stressed but someone will snap and will be the cause of another fish dying.

Females may also gang up on males D:

So divided is okay :) lots of plants!!! hidey holes, tall plants, short plants, floating plants. This ensures the male (even the females) are not flaring constantly because it can also cause stress
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #4 
lvandert

It's not ok to put a male and female together in any situation other than breeding. Serious problems, like your fish fighting to death, will happen. The few people who have "succeeded" in it just got incredibly lucky. Even having them in divided tanks can become and issue due to hormones in the water
lvandert is offline   Reply With Quote