Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #1 
BettaBuddy123

Betta is Lethargic. Overfed?

Hi folks! I'm new to betta keeping and the forum. I'm hoping that someone will be able to steer me in the right direction, here.

I purchased my first betta on Thursday. A blue halfmoon male. In the little jar at the store, he was active and blowing a large bubble nest. I brought him home and put him into his tank where he was happily exploring his surroundings and chasing his reflection. As of last night, however, he has become fairly listless. He sits on the bottom of the tank most of the time, coming up only to take a breath. I cannot get him to eat much of anything. This is not at all the behavior he had yesterday.

His tank is 2.5 gallons (small, I know, but the largest I can fit in a dorm). His water is heated to 77 degrees during the day and at night. Yesterday and today I fed him Hikari BioGold Betta Pellets and a freeze dried bloodworm. The tank is planted with live plants and he has a little cave to hide in.

I am concerned that I may have gone wrong in the feeding. I tried to feed him only what he could eat in 2 minutes yesterday and today, but that ended up being about 5 pellets (maybe 6) in the morning and at night which was probably way too much. By this morning he was just sitting on the bottom of the tank, stopped blowing bubble nests, and could not be coaxed to eat. The water was incredibly murky, so I did a 100% water change, which was probably an added stress to him but I thought it might be an ammonia problem.

To clear my conscience, I checked the water quality again and everything seems to check out except that the water may be a touch acidic. I moved him to the little plastic jar he was sitting in at the store and am floating it in his tank, just so it is easier for him to get to the top of the tank for air (he seemed to be breathing hard) and he continues to rest on the bottom of the jar.

Anyone have thoughts on how to proceed? I'm concerned about his health and what to do next.

Thanks!
BettaBuddy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Hmmm... Does he look bloated? And you did acclimate, right?
For the Feeding, 3 pellets a day would be enough. 1 at Morning. 1 at Afternoon. And 1 at Night. For the Bloodworm, 2-3 days a week is best. Freeze-Dried Foods, are known to bloat.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #3 
BettaBuddy123

He does not look bloated to me, though I have an untrained eye. I have made an attempt to compare his tummy to pictures. I've made every attempt to acclimate him as best I can during each change and made sure to condition the water and see that the temperatures of the 2 waters were the same before I let him swim out.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Can you put up pictures? It would help. Any other symptoms? Or anything else that seems, I don't know, unusual?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #5 
BettaBuddy123

Pictures to follow as soon as possible. I may be paranoid but I feel like he may have gotten a little paler. I have truly no idea what that is supposed to look like, though.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #6 
BettaBuddy123

Old 05-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #7 
BettaBuddy123

Old 05-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #8 
BettaBuddy123

Sorry the picture is not sharp. I gave it a shot. Here is another that shows his tummy a little better.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #9 
MyRainbowBettaFish

I feed my Betta about 2 pellets a day and 1 bloodworm a week. If he is bloated, you can feed him one cooked, de-shelled pea to help with constipation. I haven't personally tried this myself, but i have heard it can help.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #10 
BettaBuddy123

I've actually just given that a try. I gave him the tiniest 1/4 of a pea, which I was glad to see he ate right up. (you can see the remains in the second picture). I'm hoping it will help him out, though he hasn't had a bowel movement yet, which is part of the reason I have him in his little bucket. Thanks so much for the advice though, makes me think I may be on the right track!

P.S. Does he look bloated by the pictures? I'm finding it incredibly hard to tell. Is it possible for him to still be bloated or constipated even though he doesn't look it?