Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #1 
ashleyhexum66

Unhappy Fins melting away? Not tail rot...

Hi everyone, I'm new on here because I need some help with my Luna and Draco.

Luna is a half moon betta and when I got her 5 months ago, her tail was beautiful and rounded...now its pointy and small.

Draco is a crowntail betta and had a big sharp looking tail that barely even exists anymore.

I have looked up tail rot and asked multiple pet owners and they said thats not it but just in case to get some live plants and check water temp. So my tank stays a perfect 79 all the time and I got 2 moss balls, a java plant, and a anubis plant.

I'm attaching a few pictures. I need some help...they look awful!

Before:
[IMG][/IMG]

After:

Before:

After:
ashleyhexum66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #2 
MoonShadow

First off Luna is beautiful and is also a he not a she, lol.

Would you mind answering a few questions for me so that we can all try and help you as best as possible?

What is the size of the tank?
Is there a heater in the tank? (I know you said its at 79 degrees, but you didn't mention if you have a heater in the tank)
How often do you preform water changes?
Is the tank filtered?
Do you know what your waters reading for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites is?

To me that does indeed look like fin rot, and fin rot is usually bought about by poor water quality.
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #3 
ashleyhexum66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonShadow View Post
First off Luna is beautiful and is also a he not a she, lol.

Would you mind answering a few questions for me so that we can all try and help you as best as possible?

What is the size of the tank?
Is there a heater in the tank? (I know you said its at 79 degrees, but you didn't mention if you have a heater in the tank)
How often do you preform water changes?
Is the tank filtered?
Do you know what your waters reading for ammonia, nitrates and nitrites is?

To me that does indeed look like fin rot, and fin rot is usually bought about by poor water quality.
Thanks for responding! I know he's a she haha he's just so pretty! Its hard to believe!

The tank is a measly 3 gallons so they each have only 1.5 gallons. I have a heater that keeps it at that consistent temperature of 79. I change about 50% of the water every week or so. I do have a filter, just one of those little ones, usually isn't very gooped up when i change it about once every 3 weeks.

I just recently did a water test after I got the new plants (bought them to try to fix this issue about 2 weeks ago). My nitrates and trites were really low in the safe zone. My PH was pretty low so i used a PH increase solution. and everything else was in a good place.

Should I just wait a little longer and see if these plants are guna help out more over time? I am most concerned about Draco, his fins are virtually gone....
Old 05-10-2012, 05:10 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

Is there any way you can put one of them into another tank or maybe upgrade to a 5 gallon and divide it? It's perfect for one betta but not so good for two.

Quote:
My nitrates and trites were really low in the safe zone. My PH was pretty low so i used a PH increase solution. and everything else was in a good place.
did you use a dip sick or liquid test kit with the test tubes? ammonia and nitrIte should be at 0 or as close as you can get it, and i think nitrAtes are supposed to be under 40

The halfmoon may of been snacking on his fins - which can lead to fin rot.
Did it happen in a few hours/overnight or have they gradually been getting shorter?

Tail rot or fin rot
•Symptoms: Betta’s fins and/or tail seem to be getting shorter and shorter or they seem to be falling apart and dissolving, Black or red along the edge of the betta’s fins/tail, Bloody tips, Behavior may not change
Treatment: Conservative: Treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Add Stress Coat to help repair tissue. If there is little to no improvement within the first 5 days, you can increase the salt dosage gradually to 2tsp/gal but do not continue any salt treatments past 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective use API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR API Erythromycin. Also add Stress Coat to help regrowth. Continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth.

Fin Biting
•Symptoms: Not to be confused with Fin/Tail Rot, Fin or Tail biting is when a betta bites his own tail, tearing off pieces. Fins will be ragged, they will look like there are chunks missing, Fin loss can occur overnight, The tips of the fins are clean, no black or red edging, You may spot him swimming in circles, chasing his tail, There may be no other behavioral change
•Treatment:
Bettas bite their own tails out of boredom or misplaced aggression. To cure his boredom, try getting him a larger tank, move things around in the tank to spark his interest, put a mirror up to the tank a few times per day to let him exercise, offer a variety of foods, get him some tank mates (research into this first though), or put his tank next to another betta’s tank ect… Owners of fin biters often have to deal with their tendency for a lifetime but do what you can to draw his attention from his fins. When your betta does have a fin biting episode, it is important to keep his water extra clean to prevent infection. You can treat him for a few days with Aquarium Salt until you see regrowth but you do not want to overuse it. Using Stress Coat as the water conditioner will help fin regrowth.

I had a red CT that looks lookd like that :( He was in a 5 gallon, got water changes 2X a week, stress coat, heater...nothing worked..even tried tetracyclin and maracyn thinking maybe its something bacterial. I was then thinking ammonia burns but I dont see how with 2 water changes a week and one being 100% (non filtered tank) or fin bitting....

Last edited by Tikibirds; 05-10-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:33 AM   #5 
Tikibirds

Can their fins fit through the divider? they may be grabbing each others tails...
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #6 
ashleyhexum66

I don't think there is any biting, this was extremely gradual for both of them, almost at the same rate. I guess this HAS to be tail rot? There is a definite dark border around the tail ends. Since I'm still in school, daily changes are a bit out of my time range but I will try the salt method? Has anyone done this before?

I just really want them to get better... :(
Old 05-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #7 
ashleyhexum66

Hey everyone guess what! both their tails are growing back perfectly! The salt and plants seem to be helping. I appreciate this help so much, you were all so friendly! Thank you!