Old 05-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Can we tell yet if my tank is cycled?

I just got a liquid test kit. I tested the water and it read as follows:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 2-3ppm

pH: 8.0

But I changed the water on wednesday and its now friday.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

First of all..... how long have you had your tank? did you do a fish in or a fishless cycle with other things to feed the bacteria? How much of the water did you change? did you get an ammonia spike then a nitrite spike before the nitrates showed up? or does your tap water contain nitrates?
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
First of all..... how long have you had your tank? did you do a fish in or a fishless cycle with other things to feed the bacteria? How much of the water did you change? did you get an ammonia spike then a nitrite spike before the nitrates showed up? or does your tap water contain nitrates?
Had the tank set up for about 4 months but had to do a 100% water change about a month ago when my betta got fin rot. 5 gallons. heater. filter. 1 betta.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #4 
Micho

Eh a 100% water change is never a good idea, especially during cycling or when your tank is cycled, kills the beneficial bacteria and might actually crash your cycle.

I dunno, your nitrAtes are a bit low, they should usually be 10ppm minimum, only change the water when ammonia and nitrItes are over 0.25ppm. I believe that you may have crashed your cycle and it's in the process of cycling all over again, not sure, can't really tell from just one test of your water parameters.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #5 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Eh a 100% water change is never a good idea, especially during cycling or when your tank is cycled, kills the beneficial bacteria and might actually crash your cycle.

I dunno, your nitrAtes are a bit low, they should usually be 10ppm minimum, only change the water when ammonia and nitrItes are over 0.25ppm. I believe that you may have crashed your cycle and it's in the process of cycling all over again, not sure, can't really tell from just one test of your water parameters.
Well that's what I was told to do when my fish had fin rot. And that was a month or so ago. I'm going to go test the water right now and see whats up.

Also I thought ammonia was supposed to be at zero....

Last edited by finnfinnfriend; 05-12-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:57 PM   #6 
finnfinnfriend

Okay so today:

Ammonia: <.25ppm approx.

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: maybe about 1ppm
Old 05-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #7 
Micho

Yeah your cycled has crashed and you'll have to cycle your tank again. ):

Fish-in cycling with one Betta, whenever ammonia or nitrItes is 0.25ppm or greater do a 50% water change, and just water. I'm guessing you know the whole cycling thing already since you've cycled before, ammonia will drop and become nitrItes, nitrItes will eventually drop and become nitrAtes, and you'll know when you're cycled when nitrAtes are around 10 ~ 20ppm with no signs of ammonia or nitrItes.

Best of luck!
Old 05-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #8 
finnfinnfriend

Thank you for your help ;). So just keep checking on the water and doing partial changes until it's cycled?
Old 05-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #9 
Micho

Yeah, it'll take some time though. Fish-in cycles are generally slower, also don't wash your filter with tap water, or don't wash it in general, don't change the media in it either. If it's get dirty just wash it in old tank water, like a light dunk would do, don't wanna get rid of that bacteria living in your filter.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #10 
finnfinnfriend

Okay thanks....Would it be safe to change the water twice a week so I don't have to test so often?