Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #1 
AcrimoniousArbiter

Fin tears or something else?

Hey everyone, I haven't posted in a while but wanted to see if anyone knows what could be causing this odd fin growth:

It seems as though his top fin is becoming kind of "stringy," and his longer back fin seems to be splitting.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCk54EH2I-0

Pictures attached.

Any advise on what could be causing this and whether or not I should be concerned would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

AcrimoniousArbiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #2 
Mo

it could be a number of things, but it looks very similar to what some of my heavy finned, delicate finned male bettas get after they flare for prolonged periods of times, mostly like rips and not small tears, It also looks very similar to ripping caused by a sharp object in the tank such as plastic plants or jagged rocks, as the rips are more long and narrow, that suggest splitting, from over flaring, or "cutting", from plastic plants, usually tailbiting will be small, multiple tears in the fins, so it's not very likely to be finbiting
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:29 PM   #3 
AcrimoniousArbiter

The only recent (less than 1 month) change in decor is a few of the leaves on the cheap petco silk plant (the fake broad leaf one behind the anubias) has had a few leaves fall off. Perhaps this may have exposed some sharper plastic? I'm considering trashing it anyways and looking for a live replacement (perhaps move the anubias back or find a rooted plant).

Either way, thanks for the input, I would have never thought of the excessive flaring (though it does make sense).
Old 05-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #4 
Mo

hmm. some plants do have hard wire, or material in them to keep them sturdy and not from being flimbsy, this has happened to me also with these "betta Hammocks" products.

do you have a filter in there, internal/external filter? bettas are also known to get there fins caught in the input and for the fins to rip
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #5 
AcrimoniousArbiter

Yah, I have an external hang on back filter. It has the little tube inside with the intake, you can probably see it in the video too.

(Older picture of tank, but filter is same: http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1325081202)

I just found it odd that this has started happening since nothing much has changed in the tank for about 2-3 months.