Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #1 
es31710

10 gallon

So right now I have a ten gallon with 5 ember tetras, will be getting more once more come in stock. Do you think either a male or female betta would work in with a school of ember and maybe cherry shrimp? Anyone have personal experience with this?
es31710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:20 PM   #2 
shadowpony

I think so. The betta may eat the RCS though. I would go with a female because they tend to be a bit less agresive.
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #3 
Micho

Ember Tetras are perfect tankmates for Bettas in a 10g. Yeah just bump up the numbers to 8 or so. :) A male Betta or female Betta either one is fine. :) Also with Red Cherry Shrimp the problem with shrimps is that they usually get eaten by Bettas just put lots of hiding places for the shrimps, moss makes excellent cover for shrimp.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #4 
Mo

I've noticed that my females are far more likely to eat smaller shrimp as they tend to beget a bit bigger and are IME a bit more aggressive about eating, I've had more problems regarding shrimp being eaten with them than my male bettas, I would recommend a large amount of moss to cover the bottom of the tank for the RCS to retreat to and atleast a school of 7-8 ember tetras. They would be a great choice for your tank!
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:21 PM   #5 
Bombalurina

I have embers in my sorority and they are great. :) The girls don't bother them at all, possibly because they are so small, peaceful and slowmoving. I don't have aggressive girls, though.
Let me know how you go if you choose a male - I'm hoping to put a male in with the embers and remove the girls later this year. :)

As for RCS, Mo has it right. Lots of moss. Subbwassertang is great, if you can get it. Dense plants like lacefern and hornwort are also good.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #6 
es31710

Thanks for all the comments guys. Well I will be getting four more this week. Unfortunately one of them died bc of the carelessness the lfs tried to catch them I believe. They killed one trying to get it out and they must have hurt the one in my tank. All my water is fine 0 everything. I called them and freaked out on them. So I am done with that store haha. Just to expensive. So I will be going to a new store and picking up java moss, flame moss and maybe some more crypts. I will also be picking up some RCS.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #7 
Mo

Sorry about your tetralogy but good to know that you'll be getting other plants, and some RCS. I hope all goes well
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #8 
shadowpony

Quote:
Originally Posted by es31710 View Post
Thanks for all the comments guys. Well I will be getting four more this week. Unfortunately one of them died bc of the carelessness the lfs tried to catch them I believe. They killed one trying to get it out and they must have hurt the one in my tank. Thats terrible. My number one rule to catching fish is be gentle. Some petstores...
All my water is fine 0 everything. I called them and freaked out on them. So I am done with that store haha. Just to expensive. So I will be going to a new store and picking up java moss, flame moss and maybe some more crypts. I will also be picking up some RCS.
Congrats on the new fish! Have fun with them!
shadowpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:36 PM   #9 
es31710

Well ember tetras plan is a no go for now. Have to return them 2 of 5 dead now...
Going to fish store and getting money back. They are like well it is probably your water and I am like no and so they want to check it. Looks like someone is going to be embarrassed hint hint lfs. I may be getting glowlights instead will those work with a betta. But not from that store I will just get plants with rest of my store credit.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #10 
Bombalurina

Embers would definitely be better with a betta - like neons, glolights can swim fast and be skittish and nippy, which embers aren't. Not to say they won't work, just that they aren't as good a choice, IMHO.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote