Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #11 
TheCheese909

The amount you feed him of the NLS is up to you and how he reacts to it. You can try two in the morning and two at night, they are super super tiny and 4 a day shouldn't be too much, but if so you can try 3 or 2 a day.

Frozen Brine Shrimp is more nutritious then freeze dried, same goes with the Bloodworms. Daphnia as far as I know only comes frozen, they are called "water fleas" because they resemble shape of a flea. They are really small and when the cube of Daphnia is unthawed it almost looks like a liquidy powder.

With the Daphnia you might want a little dropper or use a toothpick to put it in the tank with in a clump. My fish kinda just looked at it if I put it in their tank and it isn't in a little clump resembling a pellet or something to eat. Daphnia is a little bit messier then Brine Shrimp as well as a little bit more difficult to tell how much you're giving your fish. I love Daphnia, but you might be better off starting with Brine Shrimp for now so you know for sure how he will react to it.

EDIT://

I don't own the Top Fin brand of Betta pellets, so i'm not totally sure how big they are. I have acouple pictures however of the size these pellets are. The Aqueon pellets are actually really small as well, they are the kind I use most often. I'm going to assume the Top Fin pellets are roughly the size of the Tetra ones, maybe a little smaller.

Aqueon, HBH and Tetra size comparison (large pic, didn't want to stretch the page)
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...9/DSC08449.jpg

Aqueon (yellow) and NLS Small Fish

And the one I think shows how small they really are or how huge Tetra pellets are:
Tetra and NLS Small Fish

Last edited by TheCheese909; 05-15-2012 at 06:00 PM.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #12 
Foolsgrin

so tiny!

Wow! those are REALLY tiny. Thanks for the pictures! They are so small they look like coffee grounds almost. Okay, I'll start with Brine Shrimp and the little pellets and see how he does. Thanks!
Foolsgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:36 AM   #13 
TheCheese909

Of course, no problem! Good luck and let us know how things turn out. :)
Old 05-19-2012, 03:41 AM   #14 
Foolsgrin

can't find the food...

Well... He had another swim bladder issue. The frozen sea monkeys worked great as a laxative though. I always think of brine shrimp as sea monkeys because i used to have them when I was a kid as pets! You remember those little kits where you hatch the eggs? They were fun to watch swimming around. Anyway, those sea monkeys are a bit of a mess to feed the fish I've noticed- gets the tank yucky real quick. I'm trying to figure out how to clean it up. I've been doing partial water changes so I don't have to lift my 5 gal. tank, but I have to get that crud out of the gravel at the bottom somehow. The filter is set to low (The Master has to fight the current otherwise) so it's not strong enough to pick it all up. I occassionally see The Master rooting around in the gravel trying to eat old nasty brine shrimp off the floor and I don't think that is good for him. There has to be a better way to clean that tank.

Anyway, I've been looking for the New Life Spectrum stuff to see if that makes a difference for him, but they didn't carry it at Petsmart and they hadn't heard of the brand. Is it a common fish food? I went online and found a couple of types of NLS- there's a small fish formula, but there's also a betta formula... Which should I get for him? I guess I can just order it online if I can't find it in a pet store, but i want to make sure I get the right kind.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:18 AM   #15 
TheCheese909

Small Fish Formula is the one you want, the Betta Pellets are about the size of the Aqueon brand. My PetSmart doesn't carry it either, I have to buy it at PetCo.

I'm sorry he's still bloated. And I totally know what you mean about the sea-monkeys lol.

Try getting a gravel vacuum, that's what I have to use to clean the bottom of my tanks as well. I got the Aqueon MiniBow gravel vacuum because it's so little but man is it a beast! It takes water out very quickly and does a really good job.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #16 
Foolsgrin

Just double checking before I buy...

Ah, thanks.

So it's this siphon gravel vacuum device your talking about? http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-06226-S...pr_product_top

And this is the right food I hope: http://www.petco.com/product/112084/...t=OnSiteSearch

The pellets say it is "sinking". Does it sink right away? Hopefully he'll still go for it. Sometimes he just watches his pellet sit on the surface and eats at his own leisure.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #17 
Foolsgrin

This the right stuff?

Not sure why that Petco link to the pellets didn't work before. Let me try again: http://www.petco.com/product/112084/...eCat=LookAhead
Old 05-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #18 
Foolsgrin

Okay, I give up, the link just won't work. I'll assume that it is right though since it's the only New Life Spectrum small fish formula they have on the Petco website. I was just worried that it said "sinking" on it. I thought maybe there might be a "floating" version someplace that I didn't know about.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #19 
TheCheese909

lol, don't stress :) The first 2 links you sent are right, they worked for me. And they don't sink right away, i've actually never seen mine sink. An yea, thats the right vacuum :)
Old 05-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #20 
Foolsgrin

Well, I got the NLS pellets and the vacuum. Looks like The Master enjoys the pellets. They seem so tiny, so I gave him 3 or 4, twice daily for the past 3 days and he has been doing just fine. Looks like we've found a winner.

I haven't tried the gravel vacuum yet. I'll clean his tank out this weekend though and see what it's like. So I just shake it around under the water to get it flowing right? And have a bucket ready to catch the water? Sounds simple enough.

Tags
constipation