Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #1 
SamJustice

Raph's fins are clamped

Well. friday and saturday morning, Raph was doing fine. I gave him a FD bloodworm (didn't know at the time to soak it for a few minutes first) saturday about noon and he gobbled it up. friday he had a couple of pellets.
And saturday night (after moving the Rev's cup over by his tank) Raph started clamping up. He didn't eat until sunday night when i got him to eat a few chrush up flakes.
I'm not sure why.
Might it be bloat from the bloodworm?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5
What temperature is your tank? about 80
Does your tank have a filter? yes, whisper for 1-3 gal tanks
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? a few plants.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? tetra pellets omega 1 flakes and FD bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day, a little at a time.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% and 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API stress coat and zyme and a pinch of AQ salt.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
As of yesterday

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.2
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? clamped fins, though kept his colors
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? a little less active. not entirely lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? saturday night
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I gave him a 100% water change and added a little more AQ salt than i normally would (though it was still a small amount)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? n/a
How old is your fish (approximately) no clue. pet store fish. got him thursday.
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Are all the fins clamped and is he keeping them clamped all the time or just when he sees the other Betta, any flashing, buoyancy problems, lethargic, hiding...

Since you just got him Thursday..was that May 11?...anyway...how did you acclimate him when you first got him and did you add any of the pet shop water to the new tank and how did you re-acclimate with the 100% water change.

Since you have a filter and live plants-I wouldn't make any 100% water changes...not needed, what kind of plants and are they thriving.

Also, you really don't need or want to use aquarium salt long term-especially in non-therapeutic dosages-
Aquarium salt is a great product for short term treatments when used for the right reason, dosage and duration.....

Can you post a pic...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #3 
SamJustice

He's loosened up today. (Posted this at work and when I left he was still clamped).
He clamped up after I moved the other's cup away from him. o.0
cool. no 100% water changes. Yus. lol. XD

Also gave him a bit of daipheria (or however it's spelled) when i got home from work.

I did the setting the bowl in the tank, then removing a bit of water and adding the tank water for like.. three hours, lol. Then netted him out and placed him in the tank. Did the same with the water change.

but, he's back to his normal self now. at least mostly. He keeps his tail a bit clamped, but he won't let me get a pic of that. XD
Attached Images

Last edited by SamJustice; 05-14-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

He may just be adjusting since he is pretty new...double check your temp and make a 25% water change for a few days and see if he will perk up and you may want to turn off the filter for a day or so too-just be sure and rinse it well before you turn it back on....I would also hold food for a day unless he perks up and start begging-then offer small amount and make him work for it...lol....and if you have access to mosquito larva-offer a few rinsed.

These guys that come from pet shops often are pretty stressed to start with and going from the small temporary display container to a tank with a filter can stress them even more....

Good luck and keep us posted-from what I can tell by the pic...he is really a pretty fella....nice find....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #5 
SamJustice

Thanks. ^.^
Jack's Aquarium and Pets (a kinda Local/regional pet store) has some amazing ones. He was one of like.. Five at the time. Thankfully, at Jack's they really care for them (at least keep them fed and their water clean). But, Jack's does have some pretty bettas. I should try getting a hold of the owner and get him to post them online or something, 'cause they're gorgeous. They have like 2 more yellow multicolors down at the Florence location.
I have more pictures of him (and some of Rev (my multicolor)) in my albums. MrV told me he's [probably] a grizzle bi-color.
And the temp's still 80. Just a tad over. Like 80.4 or so. XD
I'll follow your advice. He has perked up though. Maybe seeing another betta had him freaked out? XD

Last edited by SamJustice; 05-14-2012 at 04:08 PM.