Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #21 
ZackyBear

I wish my wal-mart wouldn't sell bettas. The prices also went up on them. Crown tails now go for $7 instead of $3 and Veils are now $4 instead of $2. Most of them are in such bad condition they really aren't worth it unless you get there right when they restock. :(

EDIT: I also noticed that all of the bettas had either chronic cases of fin rot or necro...something. Necrolepsy? I don't know the word x.x
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #22 
gidgeystartedit

Thats so sad!
gidgeystartedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #23 
Laki

Maybe because they're finally losing money on them? Or maybe it's because they're trying to weed people out from buying them. My petsmart and pets unlimited use USA bred bettas and sell them for 4.99 (VT) and 7.99 (CT). Not a bad price. But then there are two other small family-ish stores who buy theirs directly from Asia. A VT is 9.99 and HM and CT are 14.99. That would definitely weed out the kids and morons (you would think).
Whatever their reason behind raising prices (probably just inflation) you can be assurred care will not improve. :/
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #24 
duluoz

I went to WalMart the other day and ended up looking in the fish aisle. Almost every betta there seemed in fairly poor condition. They had multiple kinds of corys together and labeled the tank "misc. corys" Really?

An older couple looking around wanted to get an employee to grab some fish for them. I really wanted to be like "You don't want to do that..."

Anyway, WM is terrible to both fish and people. I boycott them, but always end up walking around in there for some ridiculous reason.
duluoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #25 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidgeystartedit View Post
Yeah.. I sort of thought that. Just wonderin' if anyone else saw them.
I bought a beautiful VT mutt from Wal-mart but he passed from fin rot. His name was Lestat since he had a pale body. This picture is when I first got him, his tail never re-grew
Attached Images

Last edited by xShainax; 05-17-2012 at 12:55 PM.
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #26 
Delta

Wal-mart treats their bettas awfully... two days ago I was picking up cat food when I saw a very sad looking betta. It was a female that had finrot, pale as a ghost, one blind eye, and was so bloated that she couldn't swim right. I felt so bad I bought her and took her home.

I tried to do all I could to save her, but she passed away last night... At least she died in a warm tank rather than in a filthy, yellow water, small plastic cup.
Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #27 
ZackyBear

If I had the space and money, I would buy bettas from wal-mart more often than the exotic ones from petsmart or petco.

Just to try and save them and give them something better than burning alive in a cup of ammonia. When I get my own apartment I am definitely doing that. Does anyone know a betta rescue group in tx? D:
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #28 
gidgeystartedit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta View Post
Wal-mart treats their bettas awfully... two days ago I was picking up cat food when I saw a very sad looking betta. It was a female that had finrot, pale as a ghost, one blind eye, and was so bloated that she couldn't swim right. I felt so bad I bought her and took her home.

I tried to do all I could to save her, but she passed away last night... At least she died in a warm tank rather than in a filthy, yellow water, small plastic cup.
Oh thats so sad. At least she had you to watch over her.
gidgeystartedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #29 
Larkspur

my Walmart takes excellent care of all their fish :/ it's really strange but they take better care of their bettas than the petsmart down the street XD
Larkspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:58 PM   #30 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur View Post
my Walmart takes excellent care of all their fish :/ it's really strange but they take better care of their bettas than the petsmart down the street XD
I bought one betta from Walmart, it had fin rot but other than that, he was healthy
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote