Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2012, 12:04 AM   #31 
Larkspur

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShainax View Post
I bought one betta from Walmart, it had fin rot but other than that, he was healthy
I've never seen a betta with any problems at this walmart (don't get me started on my meijer tho >.> they are horrible to their fish)
Larkspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:20 AM   #32 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur View Post
I've never seen a betta with any problems at this walmart (don't get me started on my meijer tho >.> they are horrible to their fish)
I really only trust Petsmart
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #33 
gidgeystartedit

I wish all Walmarts treated their fish well. At least those fish get treated well! ;)
gidgeystartedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #34 
Sheldon31

I only trust my LFS Jaydee Aquatics. It's more expensive and ferther to drive but the fish are treated better than my pets@home. We have a garden centre that sells fish too but despite my inlaws telling me they are they best (yeah what do they know they think their fin rotten veil tail must be a crown tail...) I don't trust them. Their neons were white last time I went and their bristlenose plecos were mixed with with commons so it would be hit or miss if you got what you wanted!
Sheldon31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #35 
SamJustice

Quote:
I bought one betta from Walmart, it had fin rot but other than that, he was healthy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur View Post
Quote:
I really only trust Petsmart
My petsmart, and walmart care horribly for their fish. Depends on the store management and staff.
One day, Larkspur, you might go into walmart to see their fish in horrible conditions do to management/staffing changes.
My walmart lost their fish guy and now.. all the fish are in horrible conditions
I trust my LPS, World of Pets, and our regional chain, Jack's Pets and Aquarium. ^.^
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackyBear View Post
If I had the space and money, I would buy bettas from wal-mart more often than the exotic ones from petsmart or petco.

Just to try and save them and give them something better than burning alive in a cup of ammonia. When I get my own apartment I am definitely doing that. Does anyone know a betta rescue group in tx? D:
^^ This.
I want to SOOO bad. Except my other half may object. A Lot. XD
But, a rescue group in kentucky or ohio? Does one EXIST?
Would love to get a betta or two from them. And help with funds. XD (May even do one that has to be shipped, but that would depend.)
So.. Rescue groups in general?
If anyone knows any, PM me their websites/email addresses or whatever.
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:30 PM   #36 
atomicjade

I bought my one and only betta, Epic, from Wal-Mart. I wouldn't say they take great care of their fish but its not terrible, and their bettas are nicer looking (IMO) than the Pet Supermarket down the street. If it wasn't for me randomly looking around and deciding to buy him on the spot, I would've never gotten involved and realized what little gems they are. However their customer service is terrible, I went and asked two different people for assistance and twice they called for yet another person to help me over the intercom, and TWICE I waited for 15 minutes. Eventually I said screw it and poured him into a cup myself, wish I did it sooner! He's a happy guy these days :)

Last edited by atomicjade; 05-19-2012 at 04:32 PM.
atomicjade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #37 
chibir3dpanda

I think it depends on which Walmart you go to. The really crappy and run-down Walmarts are bound to have either no bettas or dead/sick ones. The Walmarts in "rich people" areas would probably be much nicer and have nice, well-kept bettas.
chibir3dpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #38 
ZackyBear

I kinda of have some advice for Wal-Mart...

If the employees don't give a dang about their job, then the bettas are probably suffering.

I only trust the Petco across my street to have healthy bettas. The manager admitted the water is only changed every other day but they still keep it clean. Only reason some of the bettas aren't peppy sometimes is because some have been in their cups a while....
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #39 
gidgeystartedit

I honestly couldn't imagine cleaning about a 100 cups of bettas a day. But if you chose to make your money with bettas, it's what is needed to be done and when you neglect that, you lose business and money..
Like Walmart. They are shooing away customers with the disgusting "treatment" of their bettas. That and it's animal abuse. So sad.

Last edited by gidgeystartedit; 05-22-2012 at 09:24 PM.
gidgeystartedit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #40 
viviandponyo

i went there a couple of weeks ago and they had like 4 fish.. all of them looked terrible and just miserable... i was sooo sad becuase i couldnt get one until i had another tank.. :( they looked like they were taking all of them out and after the 4 were gone they would stop selling them.. this is good!!!! i hate how poorly some stores treat animals.. :(
viviandponyo is offline   Reply With Quote