Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-23-2012, 02:17 PM   #41 
SamJustice

They don't get fish shipments in too often down here, might be the same at yours.
Unless a manager told you they stopped, give it a month or so before you count them out. /=
My walmart sold out of them/they all died. and it took them almost a month to get them back in.
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #42 
ZackyBear

The bad thing is, they will keep selling fish in these conditions if someone buys them.

If I suddenly went on a buying spree of every miserable looking fish they had, in the end they still win and replace the sick ones with soon-to-be sick ones. :/
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #43 
SamJustice

yeah.
;-;
it's horribly depressing.
every time i go, I raise hell about it.
and if they don't respond in 5 minutes. i do things myself. |=
SamJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #44 
ZackyBear

I know a lot of people on this board say not to breed VTs or CTs because no one wants them, but if you really think about it, that's not true.

Dunno about you guys, but I would rather buy a VT/CT from a breeder. You know who their parents are, and they are in better condition (meaning higher survival rate) than the wal-mart bettas.

If I had my own little spot somewhere I would sell VT/CT I bred. But only locally. Shipping them would be pointless, I think O_o
ZackyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #45 
BettaGirl677

I hope they stop selling Bettas. They have no idea how to treat them and take care of them. Smh..
BettaGirl677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #46 
Knitterly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivan View Post
Went to Walmart yesterday and saw death row. Poor li'l guys and girls.
Ours was so bad last time I went I almost bought them all just out of pity, but as someone else says, they'd just buy more. They had 6 king betta females. They've had them for at least 2 weeks. They haven't ONCE changed their water. They're in 1" deep water and their feces is molding under their bellies. I am absolutely disgusted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta View Post
Wal-mart treats their bettas awfully... two days ago I was picking up cat food when I saw a very sad looking betta. It was a female that had finrot, pale as a ghost, one blind eye, and was so bloated that she couldn't swim right. I felt so bad I bought her and took her home.

I tried to do all I could to save her, but she passed away last night... At least she died in a warm tank rather than in a filthy, yellow water, small plastic cup.
Yep, we did that, too, and she didn't make it. Poor thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackyBear View Post
The bad thing is, they will keep selling fish in these conditions if someone buys them.

If I suddenly went on a buying spree of every miserable looking fish they had, in the end they still win and replace the sick ones with soon-to-be sick ones. :/
Exactly!!!
Knitterly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:51 AM   #47 
Lost Eventide

I've never seen bettas in our Wal-Mart after they moved locations. I think there may have been some at their old location though, and their fish section in general was much larger before the move. They had a couple rows of fish rather than the single wall they have now, and from what I remember the conditions of the tanks themselves were actually rather decent. From just looking, they were at least on par with the local pet stores.

Quality has really declined since then though. I think they may be trying to phase them out, which, quite frankly, I'm happy for. They do have some common medicines there (like for that common fungus, which I had a small outbreak of two years ago and Wal-Mart saved my tail because I couldn't really afford the stuff at the pet store) for cheap that work fairly well and I'll be sorry to let that go for how cheap they were, but I've never had fungus issues since so it's not a huge loss.

At least if they get phased out they'll never have fish they don't know how to take care of again. I hate looking at the tanks if I don't have to. Usually I just walk down and quickly grab whatever item I'm looking for and leave.
Lost Eventide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #48 
Striker0086

I just got my betta from Walmart in Circleville Ohio last Friday. Most of the bettas looked healthy from what I could tell. Several of the cups had huge bubble nest blown in them. The water for the most part was clean with the exception of some waste at the bottom of the cup. All of the tanks were clean and he fish looked healthy.

Last time I was there (5-6months ago??) The fish looked fine, not near as many bettas as they have now. There was one exception though, one of the tanks that housed puffer fish had some fish in it that had tail rot.

I am betting that my experience this time was just from new shipments but one can only hope that they truly did improve.

I live in between both Circleville and Lancaster, both are about 15 min away; about 30 south of Columbus.

The Walmart in Lancaster does not carry live animals. They do have a fair pet section though. Aquarium section is stocked like the stores that carry fish, they have all of the medications, etc.

Last I heard Walmart was loosing its right to carry fish because of the poor living conditions most stores would house the fish in. I remember reading somewhere that most Walmart stores have their tanks set up on one main system. They would order fish to stock their tanks and the fish would have parasites and other strands misc. strands of disease. Because the tanks were filtered with one unit, disease would rapidly spread from one tank to all and the fish would die.

As for Meijer, the store in Lancaster has improved over the past few years. I barely see an outbreak of disease. The fish are much healthier looking as well. Bettas on the other hand...well there can't be much said on the quality of care for them. That Meijer hasn't had bettas in a while and they only order half a dozen every now and again.
Striker0086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #49 
konstargirl

The walmart near me still sells bettas. :(
konstargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #50 
lelei

Our local Walmart does not, I have to go over the border of MA to get them!! I hear that one is very nice tho, It's a SuperWalmart, so It's new and very well taken care of, I am actually anxious to see what betta's they have there!!!
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote