Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #1 
Fishykins

Bloated Belly/Floats

My betta fish has bloated belly and seems to float to the surface no matter how far down he swims. He also tends to hang around underneath the filter. It also appears that he has something coming out from underneath one of his fins. It's transparent and had bubbles. I'm not sure entirely what these symptoms mean. He is also recovering from fin rot, if that makes a difference.

Thanks to anyone who can help me!
Fishykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry your Betta isn't well...we need more info...complete this sticky and add to your thread....the more info the better....

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Also a pic will help....be sure and include info on the treatment you did for the fin rot....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #3 
Fishykins

Housing
What size is your tank?
1 Gallon
What temperature is your tank?
Room temperature roughly
Does your tank have a filter?
Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No
Is your tank heated?
No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
No tank mates

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish?
Every other dayish

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
1 ~ 2 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
100% with a thorough cleaning of all the decorations and rocks
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Bloated belly and a much shorter tail (due to recent fin rot)
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
He seems to swim erratically with periods where he does not move at all.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
3 days to a week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
No, I was trying to find out what was wrong before I tried anything. I did not want to harm my fish and it also appears that he has not gotten any better or worse/
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
Yes, he has had fin rot. I treated that with a tsp of Aquarium salt whenever I changed the water. The red coloring on the edges of his fins have gone and the fins have stopped receding.
How old is your fish (approximately)?
I would guess around 6 months.

Unfortunately, I cannot supply a proper photo right now..
Thanks!
Old 05-13-2012, 03:08 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like it could be stress related compounded by water quality and possible temp issues and depending on how long the aquarium salt was used that could also be a factor.....

What I would recommend at this point-Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) tannins and water changes in a small bare QT container covered with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ-water temp in the 77-78F range for 14 days.

You need to get a thermometer and check the water temp-float the covered QT in the heated tank to maintain proper temp.

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source if you have one-either IAL(1 large crushed) or dried Oak leaf(20 crushed)-let this steep for 30min...Shake well before use.

Using this premixed treatment water make 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today-this will get him acclimated to the new chemistry and start the treatment. He needs to stay in this covered QT in the treatment water for the duration of the treatment- Be sure and attach the QT to the side of the tank so it doesn't sink.

Tomorrow-start 50% daily water changes with the premixed treatment water....Every 3rd day make 2 back to back 50%...

If you used a tannin source the premixed jug of treatment water should look darker each day....the longer the tannins steep the more tannins released the darker the water the more the Betta likes it......

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals-if you have mosquito larva offer several rinsed for one meal a day.

Once the treatment is completed we can go over proper care in a 1gal tank.

Good luck and keep us posted.....
Old 05-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #5 
Fishykins

So would the fish be in the treatment water by himself or would there be a big tank full of the treatment water with a smaller tank (which the fish would be in) in the water? I wasn't too clear about that and I don't want to assume or guess in case I choose the wrong one and he dies... T.T

And thank you for your help! I really appreciate this!
Old 05-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #6 
MyRainbowBettaFish

for the bloating i recommend feeding him if he will eat one cooked deshelled pea
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:24 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

You only need the treatment water in the small QT tank you have him in floating in the heated tank....
Old 05-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #8 
Fishykins

I could not find any Epsom salt. However, now it appears as if there's air inside the bloated part of my fish. Like a fish balloon. He floats up to the surface whenever he stops swimming. I placed him in his carrying cup, and he flipped onto his back! As if he was dead! It doesn't appear as if his ability to swim has changed though.

Should I continue with your original instructions, or try something else?

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #9 
Oldfishlady

Are his scale sticking out...like a pine cone...

Usually you can find Epsom salt at most stores that have a pharmacy dept....like wal mart and even grocery stores.....
Old 05-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #10 
sjones

Not to overwhelm you but you will need to change the water much more often in a 1 gallon tank, I would do every 3 days for a healthy fish.

Fish secrete invisible ammonia that builds up and can harm and eventually kill your fish. That is why you need to change the water very often, even if it looks "clear".

I hope he improves
sjones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bloated belly, floating at the top, recovering fin rot