Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #1 
Peterthebetta

Filter Flow Strong For Betta In 5 Gallon

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong area, I'm new, and I'm know to do that, but anyway, on with the story.
I just got my Top Fin 5.5 Aquarium, the filter seems pretty slow, but not for a betta. It's a Top Fin 10 filter, how can I reduce the flow rate??
Peterthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #2 
Micho

Welcome to the forums. :)

Filter too strong for a Betta, heh, most filters are too strong for any Betta. You can reduce the current of the filter by getting some aquarium sponge and shoving it in the intake tube of the filter or, by placing it securely at the output of the filter/waterfall. That's what I did with my AquaClear 20 filter.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #3 
Peterthebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Welcome to the forums. :)

Filter too strong for a Betta, heh, most filters are too strong for any Betta. You can reduce the current of the filter by getting some aquarium sponge and shoving it in the intake tube of the filter or, by placing it securely at the output of the filter/waterfall. That's what I did with my AquaClear 20 filter.
How would I put it in the filter I have

Peterthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #4 
Micho

1) Pretty sure you can remove the tubing, it's two pieces, correct? Take it off and shove a piece of aquarium sponge in there, this will reduce the intake and reduce the output of the filter greatly.

2) Or you can just shove a piece of aquarium sponge right there. It'll reduce the output by a lot as well.

Hope that helps. :)
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #5 
LittleWatty

Well, this was useful to me! I've been thinking about getting a Betta, but I'm doing my research first. Having not had a full aquarium (only fishbowls) or my own Betta, I'm quite clueless! After reading a lot about filters too strong for bettas, I was worried about a filter coming with a 5 gallon kit being too strong. Now, I know what to do if that's the case :) Thanks!
LittleWatty is offline   Reply With Quote