Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #11 
baileyellicott

yeah he might be. i decided to give the 5 gallon to my dad and moved him back into the 1.75 gallon bowl he used to be in, without the filter and light. maybe he just prefers the simple life....
baileyellicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:07 AM   #12 
Tikibirds

how much decor did you have n the 5 gallon? He may of been feeling stresses if there was alot of open space.

also if he is still floating funky, he may have swim bladder. try fasting him for a day or two and see if it helps. you can also treat it with epsom salt - 1 teaspoon per gallon of water. make sure the salt is disolved and water conditioner is added before slowly adding the fish. do 100% daily water changes while using the salt.

how often are water changes?
pet stores use dip strips for water tests but they are not very accurate. At least mine did. The API ammonia test kit is alot better.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:42 AM   #13 
TheCheese909

He may be a "puddle fish". Some Bettas just really do not like to be in larger tanks. I have 2 who get extremely upset about being put into larger tanks, even if it's only .5 gallons more water they just don't like it.

If you want to move him to a larger tank I would try gradually doing it, you say he's currently in a 1.75 gallon, maybe try moving him into a BettaBow 2.5 gallon. PetCo and PetSmart both sell them, however I would replace the filter in there with the Tetra Whisper In-Tank filter, which is good for up to 3 gallons. It's small, and it doesn't have a strong current. Also, your Betta isn't able to get his fins caught and torn up in it, PLUS the filter pads are only like $3 for a pack of 2 at WalMart and the filter itself is about $10 there as well.

If he likes that you can either leave him in there or eventually try the 5 gallon and see how he does in there then.
TheCheese909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:29 AM   #14 
wystearya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheese909 View Post

If you want to move him to a larger tank I would try gradually doing it, you say he's currently in a 1.75 gallon, maybe try moving him into a BettaBow 2.5 gallon.
Or, you could just put a divider in the 5 gallon and keep him in one side to see how he does. Might be easier. ;)
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote