Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #1 
Regal

Just wondering if this is normal

I got Regal yesterday, he's really active. He ate right away when I feed him. As far a I can tell he doesn't have any physical signs of an illness. But it seems like he's maybe darting every so often, he'll head toward the rocks every now and again (it doesn't seem like he's rubbing against them, though he thew himself against them once, and there's a dip in the rocks at the front of the tank that he occasionally goes to and bush against). He seemed to calm down last night once all the lights were off, but now he's back at it. I'm hoping he's just active. I'll try to post a video of his behavior later.
Regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #2 
Laki

It might be external parasites with the darting and gravel groove. But it also might be that he sees his reflection in the glass? Yes, get a vid and we'll help you figure this out. :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #3 
Regal

http://youtu.be/GJr0TS2DylA

I finally was able to get the video uploaded. I think you were right about him following his reflection. Now I'm worried about something else however. I noticed that he's constantly flaring up at his reflection, he's doing it like every three seconds. I read that over flaring can cause some damage to a betta fins. I'm already starting to notice a little fin rot. It was there when I got him a couple of days ago. Is there anything I can do to get him distracted from his reflection? Changes in my lighting or anything? I'm trying to stop the problem before his fin rot get's worst then it has to.

Last edited by Regal; 05-08-2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: adding image
Old 05-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #4 
Laki

Honestly, I see nothing wrong with him. He swims normal. Nice tank btw!! To distract him from his reflection you should add plants to the tank for him to hide in. Bettas can get shy and they feel more secure with a cave to hide in. I bought these 2 statues at the dollar store which they can go inside. I also use terra cotta flower pots and some people use coffee mugs. Whatever you put in though, make sure if it has holes in it that the holes are smaller than 1 mm or larger than a quarter. I have seen more than one fish get stuck and die in flower pots with holes in the bottom :<

Fin rot is recognizable by black edges on the tail. Since Regal's tail is white you would see it. But his tail isn't rotting. Not that I can see.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #5 
laoshun

completely normal behavior, your betta seems very healthy. If he does flare every 3 seconds its not a big deal at all. My hmpk flares just due to good environment. Sometimes he does the side to side on the tank. If you want him to be more calm just get taller plants so he doesn't feel like he has to swim on the side of the tank.
laoshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #6 
ANHEL123

I can't see the video i am at work but just want to add something. I think just watch him make sure he is not really darting around like crazy and not rubbing the body against objects. I am not sure how soon you can see physical symptoms on his body if he would have it. It would be white dots like fish covered with salt, or white small patches all over the body.

Also about his reflection. I never had this problem, but that what i found on another forum:

Male bettas will often mistake their reflections in the aquarium glass for a rival male fish and will attempt to defend their territory by flaring. This is really common when moving them into a new tank and in most cases they will stop after a couple of days as they get used to their new surroundings.

Often the easiest fix is to adjust the light. The reflection is caused by the angle at which the light is hitting the glass. Often turning the tank or moving it to another location will fix the problem.
Also , the background color outside the aquarium can enhance or reduce his ability to see his reflectin. Darker colors show the reflection more than light colors. Keeping the tank away from walls or nearer light colored walls will be better than keeping it against a dark wall. Also,attaching a scenic image to the back of the aquarium glass will often camouflage reflections as well. Most fish stores carry aquarium backdrop images you can tape to the outside of the tank. While a solid blue or black backdrop will worsen the reflections, images of aquarium plants or rocks will hide the reflection.

Adding live or silk plants is a great way to brea up the sightlines between your betta and his reflection,

ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #7 
lelei

Smile

Your fishy is soo pretty, very Regal, and I haven't seen the vid, but flaring is normal, my betta, flares at his reflection in the deep blues stones in his tank, but he's gotten so used to it, it's not as often, I haven't changed the stones, and only when he goes to the bottom, he notices, it's cute:) sounds like normal betta fish behaviour..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #8 
Regal

Thanks for all of the replies, I've recently changed his tank to a 3gallon add some plants in. He's not flaring up nearly as much as he use to but he's still very active so that's a plus <3

I'm still somewhat concerned about his tail though. The dark streaks weren't there when I got him, it seems as if it's gotten a little worst. They don't really look to be apart of his color pattern either it'll keep watching him though.

Thank-you for all the help :D
Old 05-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #9 
ANHEL123

i just saw the video didn't see anything wrong. His behavior is normal. And his tail is normal. What do you mean dark streaks? I Don't think he has fin rot.

Usually mild fin rot will go away with water changes. How big is your tank and how much and how often you do water changes? I have tail bitter and his fins healing vary fast. I do a lot of water changes though.

Fin rot if it getting worse you can also treat with aquarium salt. But i didn't see and fin rot on him in the video.

i don't know may be i am wrong. His tail don't has split ends, no black or read sticks at the end of his tail....
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #10 
MyRainbowBettaFish

He looks fine to me...probably just testing his boundaries with the aquarium!

congrats on your new Betta!
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote