Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #1 
lilyrazen

Question Tanks: Bookshelf tank?

My brother doesn't really live at home anymore, and may be moving out soon (he's 20). I'm planning on clearing off his dresser and moving my 10 gallon sorority into his room and starting a second tank. The only other accessible surface I have in that room is a bookshelf.

Have any of you tried the 6 gallon Bookshelf tank sold at petco, walmart and petsmart? I was planning on getting one for my shelf and getting a boy to put in it. If it works really well, I might even get two.

Do you think it would work, and would it be good for a betta?

Also, do you think sea glass is safe for aquariums? I was planning on putting some in his tank. (sea glass being the pieces out glass you find washed up on a beach, that are 100% softened and round and really pretty)
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #2 
Micho

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the PetCo 6.6 gallon bookshelf tank. Am I correct? These tanks are wonderful for Bettas, simply because of the length of these tanks. More swimming room, probably more swimming room than a standard 10 gallon.

If I lived in the US I would pick up these tanks ASAP, but sadly no PetCo where I live. ): Also I'm not sure about the sea glass, but I've heard seashells not good for the tank, they mess with your pH and all that.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:46 PM   #3 
lilyrazen

Oh yep, that's it. Great to know a betta will love it! And okay, I'll try to stay away from the sea glass then.

Have you ever heard of using play sand in aquariums? I think I might go with that to replace all of my gravel.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #4 
Micho

Yes playsand is usable in aquariums just give a good washing! Since stores sell sand at crazy prices, people have been using playsand.

Quikrete Play Sand works well, a lot of members use it. I'm planning on switching myself. ;)
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:21 AM   #5 
ZergyMonster

I think the sea glass should be fine, glass isn't porous so there will be little to nothing being expelled into the water. I have seen the bookshelf aquarium tanks but I really don't know if a bookshelf can actually hold that much weight. That 6.6gal tank will weigh roughly 60 pounds with water alone and then there is the substrate, decorations, filtration system and heater should be roughly 70-75 pounds of raw weight on a small part of a shelf.

I just recommend testing the structural integrity of your bookshelf before you start putting your fish tank on it.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:40 AM   #6 
lilyrazen

Okay, I promise you I will. Plus, it will be above really densely packed shelves that will be supporting it.

I'm planning on buying it in mid-June, and getting one of Mr.Vs bettas. I'm going to plant the tank and as the plants outgrow the tank, I'll move some clippings to my sorority. I'll probably also get a wood, hollow log, or rock centerpiece to make it look less... Cheesy.

Hopefully it'll work out.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:54 AM   #7 
CytoEric

I second what zergymonster said...60+ lbs of glass, water, sand, and fish will make a huge mess if they end up on the ground lol...I would definitely not use one of those tanks on your average cheap particleboard bookshelves. To be honest, the only bookshelves I can picture them on are the kind that are already built into the wall. Not sure what kind you have, just please be careful.
CytoEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:08 AM   #8 
Ramble

I love my bookshelf aquarium. Gives Leonidas a lot of room to swim without being too big to handle.
Ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:10 AM   #9 
lilyrazen

Oh, I have a solid wood bookshelf unit. It's solid oak, I'm pretty sure. But with earthquakes... I'm not so sure I'll use it, at least not while I live here.

If I get it, I'd move my sorority to my brother's dresser, so maybe I'll put it... Ahh. I'm at a loss for space ideas in the room. I might be able to squeeze it onto the nightstand, if I can fit the lamp in front of it still.

I'll find a different space regardless.
Oh, but it is acrylic so it might not be quite as heavy.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:18 AM   #10 
lilyrazen

Okay so I can't sleep (grandma was right... Too much tea!) and I've made my plan.

I'm getting the tank and sand first, with a heater. I'll change out my sorority's gravel too.
Then, I'll get the boy, probably from MrV or my pet store. I'll use my existing plants and decor until the tank is established and ready, and I'll order a 20 gallon live plant set and divvy it up for the two tanks. Then I'll get new centerpieces, a hollow log for the sorority and a rock for the boy's tank.

Hopefully it'll go smoothly. I'm looking at about... $100 or more now so I'm in it deep. ($45 tank, $15 heater, $30 plants, $10 decor and I still have to get a betta.)