Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #1 
clurwitch

New Fish Issues

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping you can help me.

We got two betas from Petsmart yesterday. We spent a lot of time with the salesperson discussing which fish to get and how to keep them. He recommended a 2.5 gallon tank with a divider. We got live plants and moss and took everything home.

After reading up some more on the fish we set up the tank with the filter and let it sit over night. We leaned that they need to be kept warm, so this morning we went back to the store to get a heater. We spent today adding the fish to the tank - I floated their cups in the tank and slowly took out the cup water and replaced with it tank water over the course of about 3 hours, then we took them out of their cups with nets and added them to the tank.

They seemed really happy and we were surprised at how active they became once they were in the tank. They looked great, happy, relaxed etc, but this evening I noticed that the white one's tale was ripped. I've attached photos of when we first put them in the tank and then when we noticed the tear.

Why do you think is happening? The tank has been around 80F and we fed them one freeze-dried blood worm and two pellets each since bringing them home. We got them in the evening and the salesman said not to feed them before they go to sleep as they stop digesting and it can cause issues. They were in total darkness overnight, which we read was the right thing. They do seem to see each other through the screen, but they don't seem upset or angry. The other one, which is blue/black is fine, if anything his colour seems stronger.

The tank has a filter which is on the white one's side (left), do you think it's too strong and helped cause the tear?
Attached Images

clurwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #2 
balbrt1

I am sure these nice people will be able to help you on the cause of the your trouble with the tail. I just wanted to warn you about something. I to got 2 bettas from petsmart yesterday and appears we have the same tank. Well I came home tonight and 1 of my boys had gotten himself into the other side of the divider. I was lucky and they seemed to be fine and no battle scars. Might want to keep a close watch on them so they do not visit one another. I am going tomorrow and get another tank so they each have their own...Good luck. BTW, your betta is very pretty.
balbrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:28 PM   #3 
Micho

Wow what pretty boys!

First off I would have to say a 2.5g divided for two boys is a little bit too small. I suggest getting another 2.5g for the other boy. I'm going to assume that the tear was from overflaring, due to having two boys next to each other they must be constantly flaring with seeing each other, overflaring leads to stress and tear and rips of the fins. ): And I've just answered another thread by a user with a divided 2.5g, one of her boys jumped the divider and was in the same side as the other boy, luckily there was no fighting or damage, but that is not always the case, many members here have lost Bettas or have them badly beaten up due to jumping of the divider or getting through somehow.

Also with freeze-dried food, pre-soak them before feeding them to your Bettas, not pre-soaking freeze-dried food causes Bettas to bloat since the bloodworms will expand in their tummies. Also bloodworms are considered a treat, so give it to them once or twice a week! The pellets will be their staple, I suggest you increase the amounts of pellets to 4, two in the morning, and two before bed. They will keep digesting when they sleep, so don't worry.

Bettas are just like any other animal, yes they need to sleep, so they need time with the lights off, but letting live in complete darkness is not the way to go. Also your plants will get affected as well (I noticed them in the background).

Hope that helps. :)
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #4 
clurwitch

Thanks balbrt1 for the warning. We're thinking about getting another tank anyway. I wonder if those double tanks are just a sales tool. Most of the photos I see on these forums are of just one betta in a tank.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #5 
clurwitch

Thanks Mico, that all seems to make sense. Reading your post we realized that they are flaring a lot. This is our first time with bettas. I had fish many years ago, these are my husband's first and neither of us had bettas.

I will pick up another tank after work tomorrow. Do you think it's ok to leave them where they are until then, or should I remove one? I don't want to stress them out too much, but I could move one to a glass tub if necessary.

Good to know about the bloodworms. Fish are much harder in many ways as it's harder to tell what they need just by looking at them.

ps they are in the kitchen/living room area so aren't in the dark, we just kept them in the dark last night as they were in their cups and we wanted to keep them safe from the cats. The photos were taken with an iPhone app so are darker than in real life.

Last edited by clurwitch; 05-13-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #6 
Micho

You can leave them in there if its just for a day. Turn off the lights so they can't see each other, don't want those pretty fins to get ripped! ;)

Haha, at least you started off right! With a heater and a tank bigger than a gallon. When I started I was with a unheated tank and it was smaller than a gallon. So you're off to a good start, no doubt you'll be a good fish parent.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #7 
clurwitch

Thank you for all the advice. I went back to Petsmart and got another 2.5ga tank, a new fern, gravel and heater.

We moved Max (the blue/black guy) into the new tank as we thought it was best to leave Henry where he is as he's injured.

It was amazing how they changed as soon as they had a tank to themselves. They seem so much more relaxed and are both swimming around rather than "patrolling" the separating screen.

The new tank came with a soft, plastic plant. Max really seems to love it. I might pick up another one later in the week for Henry's tank. He currently has two live plants, Max just has one live and the plastic. They both have the moss balls.

I'm keeping an eye on the filters. They seem a bit too strong. Henry battles more than Max, but he has a really large tail and fins.

I've left the heaters off for now as the tanks really warm up when the lights are on. What is the warmest the water can be? I don't want to over heat them. For now I may have the heaters on over night when the lights are off. I'll definitely need them in cooler weather, but for now they seem ok (around 79-80).

Interestingly (or not) the guy at Petsmart tonight said we never should have been sold the tank we were as they can see each other through the screen and it drives them crazy. He keeps his in individual tanks.

I've attached a Hipstamatic photo of Max's new setup.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #8 
Micho

Glad to see the little guy in his brand new tank, he must love it. :)

Highest I would ever go is 86F and that's pushing it, 79F is fine, is your heater not adjustable? I'm assuming you have a thermometer in the tank. Also if filters are too strong for them, just remove them completely, I have a 2.5g and I don't use a filter, still do the same amount of water changes I would if I had a filter.

You must have gotten a more well-informed employee today. Also nice picture, Instagram I'm assuming? :)
Old 05-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #9 
Bettaluver4evr

Is that the 2.5 gallon minibow? Love that tank, have one myself for my halfmoon male betta fish. Highly reccomended. I have never personally had a problem with the filter. No fin tearing, and the current isn't too strong that the betta is always uncomfortable or getting pushed around. Did you get Max the same kind of tank?
Seems like these fish will be very well cared for. :) Welcome to the forum.
Bettaluver4evr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #10 
clurwitch

Micho , the photo is with a Hipsamatic, an app that came out before Instagram. It's more a regular photo app than a sharing app.

Bettaluver4evr , yes, it's the Minibow 2.5. They both have the same tank, heater, plants etc. They seem happy, but are both very different guys.

I'm having issues feeding Max. He will eat a pellet, then spit out, re-eat, spit out the second one. I mixed the food we bought with the free food that came with the tank and I guess he doesn't like one of them. I think it might be the stuff we bought as I fed them both the free stuff from the first tank for the first two days and he was fine. Henry doesn't have any issues with the pellets.

Max was wriggling in the gravel and made a small indentation next to his moss ball. I'm surprised at how much personality they both have.

I never would have got two fish if I'd known we couldn't use the divided tank (we have a VERY small apartment), but I'm glad I have them both now.