Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #1 
samual989

water changing heat questions

I have a water change schedule I adhere to strictly first off 10 gallons evry other day for my show tank 20 gallon. Then 4 gallons daily 100 percent in hospital tank. I have one half moon that just won't kick the fin rot not major damge but enough to concern me to put in med. Tank! Anyway I want to figure out a way to change water easier and have the water preheated for easier changes but I am concerned about cost of running more heaters and bublers for a garbage can filled with water... Any ideas how to go about doin changes with heated water right now I float gallon jugs in a large plastic underbed hospital tank tote but I can't lid it to prevent heat loss! Any help would be awesome. Also how r any of you heating multi betta/ breeding facilities?
samual989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

Most breeders will have a fish room that is heated by a space heater. In a large tank you can add water that is a little cooler than tank water. I do it all the time with my tanks as it simulates rainfall. But I wouldn't recommend this for a fry tank.

Also why are you doing 50% water changes on a 20 gal every other day? Is it grossly overstocked or something?
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:11 AM   #3 
samual989

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Most breeders will have a fish room that is heated by a space heater. In a large tank you can add water that is a little cooler than tank water. I do it all the time with my tanks as it simulates rainfall. But I wouldn't recommend this for a fry tank.

Also why are you doing 50% water changes on a 20 gal every other day? Is it grossly overstocked or something?
No, not overstocked... Unless 7 betta's is overstocked, with a fb600 on it. Does a simulated rainfall benefit evry other day? Can I ask u what all do you raise/breed? How long? Where do u get your stock? Do you quaritine? Do u use plants, aqua salt, medications?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2012, 06:15 AM   #4 
samual989

Also a little under tank temperature is hard to grasp what is exactly a little 2 degrees 5 degrees ???
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

A simulated rainfall every other day? Unless the fish comes from a very wet part of the world, I can't imagine this would benefit the fish, but they are ultimately your fish to do with as you see fit. Just remember that you can keep the water too clean. Just like with humans, if an animal is kept in too sterile of an environment, it won't be able to build up a resistance to the little things that are always around.

As for me, I don't breed right now as I don't have the room. I would like to breed loaches one day. I get my stock from various places as I don't have a reliable aquatics store by me. I also have to quarantine because of this. All my tanks are planted. I don't use salt with softwater fish (which is the majority of my fish). I avoid medications where possible, but I am not averse to using them.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta care, breeding, heating, hospital tank, large scale