Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2012, 12:05 AM   #1 
Mikayla

Question Tank Mates For Betta.

I will be upgrading my betta, Fistandantilus, to a bigger tank soon. I was wondering what some good tank mates are? I was looking at dwarf frogs, snails, cory cats, and otocinclus. Are any of those good mates? Suggestions?
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:10 AM   #2 
lilyrazen

I have known all of those to be okay, provided the betta isn't too aggressive.

My favorite is the cory, because small schools of them are really neat to have in a tank if there is room.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #3 
thekoimaiden

This depends on the size tank. If you are upgrading to a 5 gal, all you could have with him is snails and shrimp. You need at least a 10 gal for other fish. Cory cats are cute, but you need at least 5 of them. Otos are neat, but they are much more sensitive. They need an established, planted tank and will often starve to death in a new tank.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #4 
Mikayla

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
This depends on the size tank. If you are upgrading to a 5 gal, all you could have with him is snails and shrimp..
What kind of shrimps? I will most likely be going to a 5 because we have an old one, I am just testing it for leaks right now. But if it doesnt work out i will be buying either a 2.5 or a 10(they are the same price at petsmart, i just dont know about space for a 10). Do either of you have experience with the dwarf frogs? I just think they are adorable.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:30 AM   #5 
thekoimaiden

The frogs would have to be in a 10 gal. Basically any kind of shrimp. Glass shrimp, red cherry shrimp. I don't know much about them as I haven't kept them (want to one day). I just know they are some of the only things that you can keep with a betta in a 5 gal.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:00 AM   #6 
lilyrazen

ADFs are great- I've had four in the past. Sometimes (mostly) they like to be in pairs. You'll either have to use a baster to give them food, because they only eat when they SEE the food, or train them to know where the food is (which takes a while). Their food tends to get eaten by bettas otherwise.
They are fun to keep though.

I have had shrimp too, and like them just as much, with the pro that they clean up. Ghost shrimp are relatively cheap, and I think they're really neat.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #7 
Ginzuishou

So far, my betta has done well with Red Eye Tetra and Neon Tetra. He chases them for fun once in awhile but has never attacked.

I have a mystery snail and the betta fish annoys it constantly.
Ginzuishou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:43 PM   #8 
Mikayla

Well if I use the 5 gallon, I will look into snails and shrimp. If not, I will try and get a 10 gallon because I like the idea of having some cory cat or ADF in there. Do the shrimp require live plants of any sort? I haven't really decided how I am going to decorate the tank yet. He is a blue and red halfmoon. I don't know what colors will compliment his. Any suggestions? Also, my teacher has an orange vieltail in her classroom in a 2.5 gallon and I think he needs better hiding spots, what has been successful for you guys in the past?
Old 05-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #9 
thekoimaiden

Shrimp and betta don't require live plants, but they really do benefit from them. Shrimp will breed like mad if you give them some moss to hide in.

For hiding spots, caves are great. Male betta love caves. Tall silk plants are also great. I've calmed my most nervous males by giving them caves and a thick mess of plants to hide in when threatened.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:47 PM   #10 
Liquid

Ghost shrimp also work. I have a male crowntail with an african dwarf frog and four ghost shrimp in his planted 5 gallon.
Liquid is offline   Reply With Quote