Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #11 
Mikayla

It looks like my 5 gallon is going to work! I havent decided on tank mates yet. I am leaning towards the shirmp and snails. What types of snails are there? Don't most of them populate like super fast?
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #12 
Micho

I would get a Nerite snail. :) They can't reproduce in freshwater, they stay small, and great algae eaters if you have any.

As for shrimps they are hard to take care of since they often act as a tasty treat for Bettas. If you provide enough cover and hiding places they can thrive and populate the tank easily. I would suggest getting any type of moss for them to hide in, and some plants to make it more dense.

Two of the most easiest shrimps to care for are Ghost and Red Cherry Shrimps. I would suggest starting off with Ghost Shrimps mainly because they're inexpensive and used as live food most of the times. They're scavengers and eat leftover food, and algae. While RCS are primarily algae eaters, they'll graze on plants scrape off the algae, they will not hurt in the plants in the process either.

Hope that helps. :)
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #13 
thekoimaiden

Snails only overpopulate if you overfeed. I have snails in all of my tanks and none are overpopulated; I don't use any type of snail control other than regular water changes and not overfeeding. I like Malaysian trumpet snails as they burrow in the substrate and only come to the sides of the tank at night. Some people like apple snails, but they cannot survive just on algae and need to be fed.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:24 AM   #14 
Mikayla

Do you know what kind of snails Petco and Petsmart would have? I have the feeling they don't carry a variety. I may try and look into some LFS's.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:29 AM   #15 
thekoimaiden

Petsmart and Petco usually just have apple snails. Sometimes they will get in Malaysian trumpet snails, but since they aren't in the system, they will just give them to your for free.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:18 AM   #16 
kfryman

Ghost shrimp shouldn't eat algae, they are scavengers for a reason. They are like vultures, but for an aquarium. They would probably only eat algae if they are hungry. They prefer meaty items, catfish waffers work if it has fish meal or other fish in it.

Before you get shrimp make sure you cycle your tank! They are very sensitive to ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #17 
Mikayla

I should be making a trip to the petstore this weekend. I am going to look around at the different snails and shrimp that they have so i can get a better idea of what's out there. I hope to have Fistandantilus' new tank up and running soon!
Old 05-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #18 
teeneythebetta

I know snails are really great for bettas. I have two nerite snails in my betta's 10 gallon tank. She leaves them alone for the most part!

They are really entertaining to watch, actually. LOL. I have one that is a little smaller than the other and the small one was crawling on the larger one's back. AWW :D They can produce eggs in fresh water,, but the eggs cannot survive unless they are in salt water. :) They eat any algae or leftover fish food. But I have algae wafers in case. BTW My larger snail's shell was a little scraped when I got her..

(Sorry for this one's poor quality, I took in on my ipod since my camera died.)

I got these two at petco for $2.99 ea. They have other types of snails but I liked nerites the most. They also don't get very big- at most 1 inch in diameter. If you decide to get a nerite- your tank would be best for only one nerite.

Last edited by teeneythebetta; 05-18-2012 at 07:24 PM.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #19 
Mikayla

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeneythebetta View Post
I know snails are really great for bettas. I have two nerite snails in my betta's 10 gallon tank. She leaves them alone for the most part!

They are really entertaining to watch, actually. LOL. I have one that is a little smaller than the other and the small one was crawling on the larger one's back. AWW :D They can produce eggs in fresh water,, but the eggs cannot survive unless they are in salt water. :) They eat any algae or leftover fish food. But I have algae wafers in case. BTW My larger snail's shell was a little scraped when I got her..

(Sorry for this one's poor quality, I took in on my ipod since my camera died.)

I got these two at petco for $2.99 ea. They have other types of snails but I liked nerites the most. They also don't get very big- at most 1 inch in diameter. If you decide to get a nerite- your tank would be best for only one nerite.
I looked at Petco and they have some of the nerites for 2.99 so I am going to get that one. It is my favorite. I actually just bought one of those pineapples and I was wondering what size yours was? I am not sure if the small one will be big enough for Fist or if I need to go back and get the bigger one.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #20 
teeneythebetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikayla View Post
I looked at Petco and they have some of the nerites for 2.99 so I am going to get that one. It is my favorite. I actually just bought one of those pineapples and I was wondering what size yours was? I am not sure if the small one will be big enough for Fist or if I need to go back and get the bigger one.
Mine is the smaller one. The neuritis LOVE the pineapple- neuritis need a variety of hiding places and things to climb on. My betta does not rest in the pineapple, but she often swims through it.

Extra word of advice- I feed my neuritis hiker algae wafers. When they sit in the water and the snails eat them, they get all broke down and stuck in the gravel. I bought a little white rock-ish cave from walmart called a "moon rock" found in the fish section for $4. I put the algae wafers in the moon rock- that way I can remove the moon rock and clean it out rather than making a mess of my gravel. If you have any more questions, feel free to message me! :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote