Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2012, 11:04 AM   #1 
a123andpoof

Decor rocks from Joann fabrics safe or not?

I got some black decor rocks they appear to be river rocks. But I just read a forum about rocks and I was wondering if they are safe or not. I really want some black rocks, but I don't want the gravel that you buy at petstores as they don't look as natural. But now I am afraid they may be poisones or something they are made by akash and are japanese black gravel I believe. Anyone know about these rocks or can tell me if they are safe or how to tell if they are safe. If they aren't I will just return them and keep looking.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #2 
djembekah

is there information written on the label about what they're made of/coated in?

i had customers buy some black river rock things (along with a big bowl for goldfish @___@ but i didn't say anything). i work at michael's. i didn't see what they were made of though. i typically use sand or regular aquarium gravel.

Last edited by djembekah; 05-14-2012 at 02:55 PM.
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:21 PM   #3 
LionCalie

I would recommend only using rocks that clearly state that they are safe for aquarium use. It's better to be safe than sorry. Petsmart sells river rock stones that are fish safe. They have a variety of colors available, including black.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...mdn=Fish+Decor
LionCalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #4 
a123andpoof

Okay. I was thinking that, but I do know some people use decor rocks, but now I think I would rather not risk it. I was mostly hoping to save some money. But if you everyone thinks they are dangerous I may just return them.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote